Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me. My sister's 2 year old betta has been changing from blue/turquoise to pink! He had a bit of pink on his face and throat a year ago, but its really spread over his whole head and might be lightening his body too.Has anyone heard of this before? It really has her concerned. He's otherwise healthy (though has a bad tail eating habit.)

Sorry if the pictures are sideways, I don't know how to flip them. This is my first post here. 馃槄
20200121_213113_1579669300512.jpg
20200121_213113_1579669300512.jpg

Attachments

Registered
Many Bettas have the "jumping gene", and demonstrate "marbling". They will change colors, sometimes dramatically, and can do it quickly (over a week) or slowly (over months). My favorite that I had was a very large Plaket (short fins) that was orange with red fins when I bought him, and had turned all blue and red by two weeks later. After that the colors just slowly migrated around his body for the next two years. As long as its just color changes, and not a fungus or skin condition, I don't think there's anything to worry about. But I am new here, so others might have more to add.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your post! We're mostly concerned because he's not a young fish, he's at least 2 years old now. His colors DID change and develop in the first weeks/months after we'd bought him then they stayed the same for a long time (as far as we know.) We unfortunately don't have many pictures to compare.

It's bothering her that the pink color has expanded over his head/body this late in his age and whether it's just a sign of older age or something more sinister...

Registered
Do his scales look healthy? Smooth, shiney, flat to his body? As long as he doesn't have anything "sick" looking about him, I'd think he's fine. I've never heard of Pink Disease.

Registered
The marble gene is completely unpredictable, so your sister's betta changing after two years is completely possible! If the betta is still healthy and active, there's truly nothing to worry about.

While bettas do tend to lose color in their old age, it's more of an all-over dulling, rather than for example a dog's muzzle turning white. So his newly-pink head is not a sign of age, it's just how his marble gene is affecting his pattern.

There's actually a color pattern for a "bald" head color, I believe it's called "monster" but I'm not sure. You could look up pictures of other bettas with that color to reassure your sister.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your answers!

He seems pretty healthy, still eats really good and hunts/eats baby snails in his tank (that hitched a ride in on a plant.) He HAS slowed down a bit and flares less now, but he could just be more chilled out. No bubble nests for a while. His scales are smooth, no pinecone look, ich, or red streaks.

We'd never heard of the marbling gene before, so didn't know that a betta's colors could change so much after they'd matured. It's definitely interesting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts