Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
I’m new to betta care and really fish care in general but after my goldfish of 2 years died I really wanted a new buddy. I would really love to welcome a betta into my tank but if at all possible there’s a few questions I need answered. First of, companions. I know betta usually live on their own but are there any other fish I could have in the tank? I’ve been told many different things by many people including, tetras, mollies, platies, etc. I have a ten gallon tank already cycled and set up and have a bristle nose pleco and a single nerite snail already in there. Thank you!!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,200 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Almost anything smaller than the Betta in a heavily-planted tank. Unlike Goldies, Betta do not do well in open tanks.

Find what you like and post here and people can let you know where they've had experience. Whatever you get, you will need at least 10 for a proper shoal. And what have can depend on whether your get a long- or short-finned Betta.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One of my bettas lives with a bristlenose and five harlequin rasboras, a kuhli loach, and lots of pond and ramshorn snails... my other one lives with an albino bristlenose, 6 cherry shrimp, pond and ramshorns and a spiky marsh snail. Big tanks, lots of plants,
no problems with anyone fighting or hurting anyone so far :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my bettas lives with a bristlenose and five harlequin rasboras, a kuhli loach, and lots of pond and ramshorn snails... my other one lives with an albino bristlenose, 6 cherry shrimp, pond and ramshorns and a spiky marsh snail. Big tanks, lots of plants,
no problems with anyone fighting or hurting anyone so far :)
Thanks for the info, I went to get my betta boy today and the worker told me I could only get two guppies and any more than that would be overstocking the tank, so in my 10 gal tank right now I have a betta and two guppies is that ok?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,200 Posts
Geez, store clerks go overboard one way or the other. At least this one was cautious.

Are these male Guppies or one of each sex? If the former, you can have four or five; if the later you need to get another females as livebearers should be kept in trios or the female will be constantly hassled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez, store clerks go overboard one way or the other. At least this one was cautious.

Are these male Guppies or one of each sex? If the former, you can have four or five; if the later you need to get another females as livebearers should be kept in trios or the female will be constantly hassled.
I’m not actually sure if they are males or females is there a way to sex them?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,200 Posts
Hades is a cutie! Love fish pictures. :)

You appear to have two females. I'm sure the one in the front is a female; not sure about the one in back. It it's a male you need to get another female. Hades will appreciate the live food when the babies are produced. Or, you can put the female ready to give birth in a breeding net if you want to keep the babies. The female you have now is already pregnant.

Here's another way to tell the difference. Females have a fin like the one circled. Males do not.
MaleFemaleGuppies1.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hades is a cutie! Love fish pictures. :)

You appear to have two females. I'm sure the one in the front is a female; not sure about the one in back. It it's a male you need to get another female. Hades will appreciate the live food when the babies are produced. Or, you can put the female ready to give birth in a breeding net if you want to keep the babies. The female you have now is already pregnant.

Here's another way to tell the difference. Females have a fin like the one circled. Males do not.
View attachment 1022692
Thanks for the help! If they’re both female can I just get more females or does that not work?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the info, I went to get my betta boy today and the worker told me I could only get two guppies and any more than that would be overstocking the tank, so in my 10 gal tank right now I have a betta and two guppies is that ok?
I like the idea of under-stocking rather than over stocking with a betta, especially a smaller tank, so that everyone can have their own space etc. Don't know about guppies but lots of people say they're a good match! Make heaps of hiding spots/planted areas to give any babies a fighting chance and make everyone feel way more chilled in general. Good luck! Would be interested to hear how it all goes :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts