Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had 2 bettas die on me from the same symptoms.. lethargic then dying overnight. After the first one died i treated with melafix and pimafix for a week then added another betta who succumbed to the same problem. I am changing my filter substrate and I found some sort of nymph in the water... could this be what killed my bettas?:(

I now have 5 neons in there and have no idea what to do with them...

Here is a copy of the tank stats from when the tank has the sick bettas including their symptoms
Housing
What size is your tank? 60L
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Neon tetra

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes and bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite slightly raised
Nitrate: normal
pH: 7.5
Hardness: unknown
Alkalinity: unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Flared constantly, barely movinf either at top or bottom and no use of pectoral fin
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Melafix and stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No but my old fish died from these symptoms
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 days

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sorry- I don't know much about insects, but I suppose if the insect was aggressive and bit the bettas, then they definetly could have died from a bite- an insect whose bite is bad enough to leave a mark on a person could definetly kill a fish. I'm very sorry for the loss or your fish. The only thing I would be worried about with the neons is that there could be more insects in the tank- so you may want to consider moving them or looking very carefully through the tank for bugs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts