Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta Atticus died sometime last night. I'd only had him for 1.5 weeks. He was purchased from PetSmart. After adopting Atticus, I started doing more research on bettas and saw that he had a slight case of fin rot. Otherwise, he was pretty active. When I first brought him home, I put him in a 10 gallon, heated tank with a filter. I was suctioning the rocks and did a 50% water change at around 5 days. When I saw the fin rot, I put him in a quarantine tank with aquarium salt and a heater. I changed the water 100% every day. He was at my office. When I went in this morning to do the 5th day of his treatment, he was floating in the bottom of the tank. His color looked horrible (did not look that bad yesterday) and there's more noticeable red around his gills and fins. I'm hoping forum members could look at his sad little pictures and opine as to the cause of death. If it was possibly a parasite, I know more extensive things must be done with his tank. I will say that he started clamping his fins about two days ago and in short bursts would swim erratically. Otherwise, he seemed appropriately active. Please help! Thank you. [the pictures are a little blurry, my camera wasn't focusing well and it was hard to get the right light].

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was your 10 gallon cycled? A housemate here had a 10 gallon and her fish died within a couple days due to New Tank Syndrome. Her fish spent the first few days seemingly healthy but after a few days, they started to show the same symptoms of clamped fins and short bursts of swimming and then died a few days after.

There may be other reasons if your tank is properly and fully cycled. How much AQ Salt were you using in how big of a quarantine tank? Were you giving him a salt bath or salt treatment? Have you tested the waters to cross out possible ammonia poisoning or bad water? Red gills may indicate ammonia poisoning but this is not always the case. Another possibility is that the fish was already far along on his illness when you brought him home and it was just his time. I'm sorry for your loss :(.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts