Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Trying to figure out what's up with this guy. Had him for a few weeks, was a very vibrant red when I got him and now has obvious discoloration-- an almost tannish color. Perfectly happy fish, one of the most fun bettas I've had. 2.5 gallon tank, eats frozen bloodworms. Attached is a photo.

Just got a little heater and some color-enhancing food, hoping that'll help (but water temp hasn't been extremely chilly or anything and I don't overfeed).

I'm fairly experienced with fish; I've had bettas before and also have a 20g community tank at home (this guy is in my dorm with me!).

Any tips would be appreciated! :-D

Thanks,
Kate

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
How often are you changing the water in the tank?

You said you just bought a heater? So you didn't have one before? That could explain the coloring.

What brand of food did you buy him? Most food brands are full of filler which are not good for your fish. Omega One or New Life Spectrum are recommended by many of us here.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Since you don't have a filter you should be doing one 50% and one 100% water changes a week.

the heater will help - those temperatures are much too cold for him.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
He's actually marbling haha, he'll most likely continue his color change, though he could stop at the moment too and stay like that but it does look like he'll continue to change on you! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts