Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-My betta is in a 18 litre aquarium. (4.75 gallons) with a filter, a heater, an airstone and It's around 26-27 °C . I change the water once a week (conditioned water)- (2 litres or so). Also I have a couple of plants, no other tank mates just really small snails that came out of the plants when I bought them. I used to give him dry worms and flakes but he stopped eating the worms so now I just give him flakes.He has had fin rot for 3-4 months now. I tried treating it with sera's mycopur and salth baths. After the treatment his fins started healing (quite fast) but stopped healing halfway so I treated it a second time after 2 or so months but this time no salth baths. The second treatment didn't make a difference.
Then this new problem occured. His scales started sticking out 2 days ago and he has not eaten anything for 2 days. He always floats on the top in a corner or sinks down and lays on the gravel. He barely moves. What should I do?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks like he has developed dropsy. I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I understand about dropsy is that's it's a symptom not a disease. Unfortunately, I can't offer you any advice on treating it as I haven't every experienced Dropsy before. Hopefully someone else on here can or you can do some research yourself.

Again, I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fish. =/

<<Snip>>here is information on dropsy. I would buy antibiotics and treat him according to the directions. Make sure the medicine is for treating bacterial infections.

Dropsy is serious and will result in the death of the betta unless you quickly treat him! Two days is much too long to have posted something/sought treatment. I would immediately go out and buy antibiotics if you wish to save your fish. =/

Bacterial infections and fin rot are a result of bad bacteria and ammonia build-up in the water. From the photos, it looks like there is either dead algae or waste buildup underneath the gravel, both of which can cause poor water conditions. The plants you have in your aquarium also suffer from algae build-up, as the algae depletes the nutrients in the water causing the plants to lose leaves and die (which also adds ammonia to the water).

I do believe that if you follow the directions given in the link, you have a chance at saving the little guy! Betta's are actually quite a fragile fish, and are susceptible to bacterial infections often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts