Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello again,

It's been almost a year since I first noticed my Betta becoming more and more lethargic, and lately has been the absolute worst. :cry: I've spent all of this time trying to find out what's wrong, doing research and trying everything, and nothing has made any difference.

He's at least 3 years old, but possibly even older (I'm not sure how old he was when I got him.) He barely eats - we can get him to eat maybe once a week if we put the food directly in front of him. He seems to be completely blind - oblivious to his surroundings and bumping into walls when he swims. He hardly moves, just lies at the bottom of the tank. His breathing is extremely labored. His appearance hasn't changed aside from his color has faded a bit.

I hate the idea of euthanizing, so I don't even want to consider that (unless he's in pain!) My heart aches every time I look at him, and I guess I'd just like some advice for those who have gone through this before? And if there's anything I can do to make this any easier on him? :-(

For the record, I've tried: Epsom salts, fasting, changing his food, bought a brand new, higher quality heater, moved him to a new tank, changed his water more often, lowered the water level, aquarium salts, Betta Revive. Probably more I'm not remembering. Nothing has made any difference - I really do believe this is old age.

Thank you in advance. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd get an air pump or stone, it may get hard for him to come up for air so you should keep the water oxygenated. Aside from that, there really is not much you can do... Just keep him comfortable, say your last goodbyes, and try to remember that he lived a long and happy life. I'm sorry about your betta:'(

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Whether fish feel pain or not is debatable - quality of life is what people look at with regards to euthanasia. Of course pain is a consideration of quality of life, but certainly not the only one. Lots of people prefer to let their fish die on their own, and that's fine - you can do that with fish. It's not like allowing a dog to die on it's own.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Im so sorry about your betta.

I suggest making him as comfortable as possible. Its your choice if you want to let him die on his own or not. But remember, if he has lived with you for 3 years, then he has had a long, happy life. I'm glad he had such a good home!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts