Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
[disclaimer: I'm really bad at naming pets...so...I'm sorry about their names.]

I've had my betta (Mr. Fishy) for about 2 weeks now. He started off alone in his 5.5 gal tank, then about 5 days in I introduced a 1.5 inch clown loach (Dr. Fishy). They hit it off fine and occasionally sleep in the same cave or lounge in their floating plants together.

But here's where my question comes from: when its feeding time Mr. Fishy gets 5 hikari floating Betta pellets while Dr. Fishy gets a small portion of a sinking hikari algae pellet. Once Mr. Fishy is done eating his pellets he goes to the bottom of the tank to Dr. Fishy and starts eating his food. =/ I don't think that the issue is "I'm not feeding Mr. Fishy enough" because he gets food twice a day but why is it that he eats the sinking pellet as well? Should I give him more pellets? Or should I just separate him during feeding time?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bettas are big fat fatties, if there is food they will eat till they pop. I would separate them for eating.
If you have a mirror for him, putting that in/around once he's done eating may distract him enough to let the good doctor eat in peace.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Feed betta during day. Loach at night.

What you could do is feed your betta during the day. Then at night before you go to bed drop a piece of algae tablet in the tank for your loach as he will eat with the lights out and the betta won't normally go affter food in the dark. But it has to be completely dark...not just the tank but the room too.

Hello everyone,
[disclaimer: I'm really bad at naming pets...so...I'm sorry about their names.]
But here's where my question comes from: when its feeding time Mr. Fishy gets 5 hikari floating Betta pellets while Dr. Fishy gets a small portion of a sinking hikari algae pellet. Once Mr. Fishy is done eating his pellets he goes to the bottom of the tank to Dr. Fishy and starts eating his food. =/ I don't think that the issue is "I'm not feeding Mr. Fishy enough" because he gets food twice a day but why is it that he eats the sinking pellet as well? Should I give him more pellets? Or should I just separate him during feeding time?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, Kaiju is continuously looking for food no matter what I do. Most bettas are fatties. You definitely shouldn't feed him more than you already do, even if he begs like a little pig. Keeping him distracted at the surface might work. Mine usually sticks around if I pretend like I'm going to give him more even if I don't.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Take the loach back. They can grow up to 16 inches and need school of at least 6 fish total. That fish will NOT be happy without a big tank and other clowns.

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
I hate to say it, but Artemis is right. Keeping a school of Clown loaches healthy requires somethin like a 55g tank.

I know you didnt ask, but Hikari is not a very good food for your Betta. A good diet is second only good water quality for good health and long life. I recommend you feed him New Life Spectrum Betta or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you guys for your input on my loach. I know that they get larger an I am quite prepared for his growth. The reason as to why I have him in the tank at this present time is due to my interest in keeping the snail population down.

I should have mentioned this in the OP but:
I also switch off their food to freeze dried bloodworms and live brine shrimp. So that their diets are more varied than just pellets and wafers.

Ex. In the AM my betta gets brine shimp. PM he gets pellets. My loach also eats the brine shrimp (its an omnivore so it eats invertebrates as well as algae). He also gets an algae wafer in the evening.
I appreciate all of the opinions :) however, I do understand how the loach is a social fish and how large he gets. Also, I would rather not get rid of my loach (he's rather cute). As I said, I'm well prepared to upgrade to larger tanks when needed. In regards to my loach being a schooling fish, I am also prepared to purchase other types of loaches and community fish when I get a larger tank.

Thank you again for your concerns Artemis and Hallyx.

[Edit]
Also, I'm not sure if this was entirely clear..but my question was regarding the feeding habits of my betta fish and how to improve the feeding time. Not my loach nor whether or not I should return him. I do however appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Separating the fish during feeding by cupping the betta will probably be your best bet. And clowns need their own kind not just other species. I don't want to seem mean or harsh but I also would like what's best for the fish.

Might I suggest getting a Kuhli loach instead? After the snail problem is gone, it will be MUCH easier to get a small group of them. They only get to around 3-5 inches (there are a lot of species that sell under the name of kuhli but with the same care and you can choose different colors) and they will eat leftover food and mine prefer flakes over algae wafers anyway so it should get rid of any issues with that. Your choice, but they are very cute. Have you ever seen a big school of them chasing food? Look some videos up on YouTube, it's really cool.

Reactions: Hallyx
1 - 9 of 9 Posts