Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Are they flaring a lot at each other? You may want to plant several plants along your divider that way they can‘t see each other. To much flaring at each other can stress them out. They are nice looking guys.

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
Nice looking boys. That Koi pattern is my favorite.

I have males in divided tanks with clear dividers. The probably flare at each other a few times per day which is good exercise. Only if they are flaring non-stop is there need to intervene.

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
When you measure Betta it is body-only; caudal is never included.

I'm sure you know in the normal course of things Betta only come together to breed and that keeping males and females together 24/7 is an accident waiting to happen. The usual outcome is the death or severe injury of one or the other. Because of the disparate sizes I'm betting the females are the ones who will suffer the most .

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
I measured tl not sl because these bettas do not have long tails like other bettas, but if it makes you happy they are 2 1/2 inches. The koi and the crowtail female have been together almost 8 months and she's doing just fine. The other pair has been together and the female has one little split in her fin from some pre spawning behavior. I have been keeping these bettas for about six or seven years and have spawned them quite a few times. Tanks have lots of wood that I removed clean and then it's going back in and my females have always been fine with the males.
It's not that it makes me happy; it's that information presented on the Forum is to be accurate. By any standard, body-only is the way Betta are measured...fins are of no matter. This is especially true if one claims one's Betta as Giants.

How individuals wish to represent their Bettas' size is up to them, of course.

It's great that your Betta have been together for so long without incident and thank you for sharing. It is not the norm, however, and we want to assure that members of this Forum who might want to try such are advised of that fact and the consequences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts