Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I've been trying to keep an eye on my betta over the last week or so (he started exhibiting symptoms maybe five days ago after a water change). After doing a 50% water change, he started twitching a bit, just a little in movement. By the end of the night he was being jerked all around the tank. This started tapering off but still occurred fairly regularly. I checked to see if he had velvet but was unsure, given that though he did have a rosy tint it seemed more an even sheen than a dust. It definitely didn't seem to be ich. I let the temperature rise a bit in hopes that if he did have parasites that they would release sooner (I was prepared to put salt in the next day in another, smaller water change). After the temperature evened out again his most sever symptoms subsided though he did seem more lethargic. His appetite did and still does remain pretty voracious. Over the last few days he has for the most part recovered (I was advised by a friend and aquarist of many years to abstain from another water change; his opinion was that the frequency with which I had been changing his water had been too much to acclimate to--I was changing his water by about 30-40% every two or three days--and that his immune system had become susceptible to whatever was now irritating, and that regardless if I treated him without pinpointing the exact cause he could worsen or at the very least still be susceptible to whatever was making him ill, his immune system not coming to resist on its own), and today I did another 50% water change (which I used as an opportunity to plant a java fern in the hopes that it might help with ammonia and the like). I should note that our tapwater here is fairly hard, but I use dechlorinator and try to let it sit overnight before adding it to his tank. He lives in a one+ gallon bowl, there is a seashell and some christmas moss, and now the java fern. Initially when I started testing his water the pH was still low enough that it seemed reasonable, but now it has been reading closer to 7.4 . As of today's water change that holds, and the ammonia reads at .00375 I believe (I may have added an extra zero??). Nitrite is negligible and Nitrate is under safe thresholds. My main concern is that he seems to have a patch of discoloration on one side, a dark spot seemingly between the scales that has gotten larger over the last few days, and several smaller instances of this that may be starting to form in other places around his body. When he first started showing symptoms, and before he really started jerking around the tank, he clamped his right pectoral a bit, but he hasn't done that (observably) since the jerking has subsided. There have been several instances of lethargy but overall he seems to have a fair amount of energy left. His appetite remains high. I noticed him earlier today on the bottom of the tank, and it seemed his right gill was less active, or that his left gill was overactive if not flared. His breathing hasn't seemed particularly shaken, though sometimes he will go up to the surface for air more consistently than others. Oh, and the last couple days he has more often than I like been darting around and off of things, namely the thermometer, fern, and sides of the tank. I'm still most anxious about that dark spot; it almost seems like dirt between or on or coming from his scales, and I was wondering if maybe it could be bruising from darting so much. I don't believe he's lost any scales though these "dirty" splotches are fairly matte. He has an ecosafe substrate and there is nothing else in the tank. I have used no additives at this point, though am considering salt or stress coat. The temperature generally holds about 78-80 degrees (there is a capped heater). No filter. Also, I got him at a betta and aquarist shop, he should be in better condition than a typical "store bought" betta. I've had him maybe three weeks. I've been feeding him Omega One Super Color Color Flakes (initially once a day, now two small twice a days--I follow the "stomach-no-bigger-than-their-eye" rule--and recently have occasionally treated him to Omega One freeze dried bloodworms. (This morning's update: he's still pretty perky/responsive, but lingers near the bottom of the tank more than is probably healthy. There are bubbles on the surface though, and his dirty spot is still thoroughly dirty. I've been waiting to feed him today since last night he seemed a little full.) Any advice much appreciated!! Though please don't just make random guesses, a lack of clear information is why I haven't felt confident treating him so far. Thank you, Pericles and I are both much obliged!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been wondering that, but it only started exhibiting itself alongside his other symptoms when they started. He's been resigning more to lethargy and I'm afraid his strength is starting to fade out. Now he seems to have to intentionally make the trip to the top of the tank to get air, and when he can manage it will dart more against things. The strange thing about the coloring is that it isn't even throughout the scales; it almost seems to be between them. Regardless, the severity of his other symptoms concern me and I'm not sure what the next step should be. I can add stress coat and can still put salt in. Asides from his behavior and that dark spot(s), I haven't been able to identify any other apparent symptoms (no cysts or spots like ich, dusting like velvet, visible worms, etc). I feel like I'm watching him die :(

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You are using prime? When you're doing these water changes your matching the temps ? In a 1 gallon bowl you do have to do frequent water changes it becomes toilet bowl like very quickly.

What is the temp of the tank.
You said he's eating so that's good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am unsure what kind of dechlorinator I have; it is a bottle of the stuff a friend and aquarist of many years gave to me. I know it at least negates hard minerals and the like, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't otherwise beneficial considering the scale to which he raises fish (he has seven tanks at the moment? crazy) but I'll see if I can find out. I have been approximating temperature conditions in his water changes but will be sure to make them as close as possible. Would the live java fern and christmas moss for the setup indicate a more telltale water change schedule to uphold? I can start changing his water 25% a day for example, but would having the live plants mean anything alternatively concrete, like instead of 25% a day I should do 30% every two days? That kind of thing.
The temp is currently at 80 degrees, which is as low as it can go with this heater (It doesn't go higher, but I can't moderate a lower temperature than that without constantly turning the heater on and off).
Also, is there a general consensus on salt or stress coat if I haven't identified the particular issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Updated test

I tested his water again and these were the results:

pH--7.35
ammonia--.002ppm
nitrite--.05ppm
nitrate--6ppm

Oh! (edit) I did find out what kind of dechlorinator I have; it is Prime.

The spots right in front of his dorsal fin are more pronounced now, in fact they almost look like missing scales or even holes in his top skin layer (small, but "raw"). This seems to be a consequence of his darting against things, at least as far as I can guess, and he does still dart off of objects (has a need to scratch; isn't just twitching around the tank). Hopefully some of these pictures give an impression of the dark spot on his side, or rather the dark stuff between his scales. Still not sure if that's even anything other than discoloration (but the nicks by his dorsal fin definitely aren't just color).

He is also still spending at least two thirds of his time at the bottom of the tank.
Breathing and appetite seem fine.

I have no idea at this point what I would be doing wrong or what I could be doing better, and I still am not even sure what's bothering him so much. Thanks, all, for the advice!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts