Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
keep my betta in a 2.5 gl Fluval Spec with filteration and slow current. I also have a small heater set at 75. Live plants, sand, large glass rock, and a Petco tower with holes for him to swim through.

A few months ago I noticed his eyes looked a bit different. He started having blue over top lid. Now he has it growing over onto his actual eye. It's more pronounced on one side. He is not showing signs of popeye or any other common illness.

He's very large compared to other bettas and his fins are growing well. 5ish months ago, he started having scale growth from the bottom of his body onto his bottom fin but I didnt think much of it. I read about dragon scale bettas. I purchased him from Petco a year ago labeled as Half Moon. I'm not sure if hes growing scales over his eyes. I read that was a problem found in the dragon scale bettas but not other types.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm not a fish expert so you'll have to wait for others but the picture will help.

I have a female who has a scale growing over her eye. I've chocked mine up to dragon scale. Hard to tell but kinda looks like yours but mine is more pronounced depending which way she looks at you. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for your insight. Such a bummer on your female!
I read the scales can grow over the eye entirely. My betta is usually very curious. He likes to sit and look things over. He will put his head right next to something and examine it. He hasn't been doing that lately since the growth started reaching his eye. I feel super bad for him!

Here's some from a year ago:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts