Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now I have noticed that my bettas tail keeps getting smaller near the ends before growing out a bit then going back to being short. I have taken the plastic decoration out 2 months ago and just left a piece of wood and live plants and the problem keeps persisting. I’ve recently noticed that he’ll hang and let himself be suctioned to this filter part (it doesn’t bother him, I think he enjoys just being sucked next to it). Is it possible this could be the cause or is there anything else I should be on the lookout for? Thankyou for the help!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Are those pieces of his fins stuck on the filter grid?

Can you post a photo of him out in the tank and one of his tank?

This may sound like a silly question, but you do know he's a Crowntail, right? We've had members "rescue" CT because they thought they had fin rot so I like to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha yes I know he’s a crowntail! I’ll post a before and after picture of him where you’ll be able to see how the length has decreased. And I don’t think the fins get stuck but they do suction a bit to the grid. I’m currently saving up to get a bigger tank as well!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
It is so hard to tell if CT are biting, have damage or fin rot. I lean toward biting since the fins heal and then go shorter again.

You might try getting him a larger Anubias for the middle and adding either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea. You can also brew a strong "tea," condition and add to tank until the water is at least the color below. IAL and Rooibos have mild antibacterial and antifungal properties and help stave off infection.
Flower Plant Nature Leaf Botany

Helps to post referenced photo. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts