Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please,……. New Betta 8:15/21 put in cycled tank and now after 4 weeks of perfect water readings with API test kit, water temp constant 78-80, silk plant decor and pebble gravel sibstrate, top fin bamboo
Tank 3 gallon with HOB filter that came with Aquariam ….overnight fin damage not sure what happened, what should I change or
Do to help him?
Wood Organism Feather Rectangle Art

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
830 Posts
Hi! Can you please fill out this form?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 79-80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hi Kari bio gold betta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Bug Bites
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3 pellets twice a day and 1 bug bite as treat

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once per week
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? Spring water treated with Frits zyme and Stress Coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Fritz Zyme What brand of conditioner? Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness (GH): 30
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Overnight
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Shredded Tail
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? One Month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
He is either nipping his fins or he has décor damage. Can you post a pic of the whole tank. You can take a nylon stocking, drag it over all the décor in the tank, if the nylon snags, his fins will too.

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
So a couple things it could be. Those silk plants to they have a little white cat tail looking thing in the middle? If so, cut the tip off. I had one a while back that shredded my guys fins. Second, it could be the cave, check for sharp edges. Third, if he is nipping it might be because there isn’t enough cover in the tank. You may want to add some more plants for him to hide in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank u so very much for helping me, I will remove cave and add more plants, and will check plants that are in there now. Hoping I can figure it out🥲

1 - 7 of 7 Posts