Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My betta fin looks like it has a feather growing out of it. Yesterday it looked like a small puff ball. 12 hours later it’s long like a feather and green at the tip. Anyone know what this is? Or how to treat it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1 gallon
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? No I live in the Caribbean it’s too warm for that
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? One a day 3-4 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
What is the source of your water? Cistern with filter
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Betta basics

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 4 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fin looks like a feather
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Has not
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Bettafix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Thanks for filling out the form, it helps a lot.

First, what type of filter are you using with the cistern water? If it's an R/O filter then part of the problem your fish probably has is from that. R/O filters remove all the minerals from the water and the fish need those minerals to survive. So if you are using one you need to re-mineralize the water. You can also use bottled spring water, but if you do that switch your fish to it slowly so the swing in water parameters does not shock him.

You should be doing much more frequent water changes, on a 1 gal, unfiltered, tank or bowl changes need to be done every 2 or 3 days. If you do it that way you can change 50% of the water, vacuuming the bottom of the tank with an airline hose to get out all the nasty stuff on the bottom. That will keep the water safe for your boy, and will be a lot less stressful on him, because you can leave him in the tank while you do the water change.

Hopefully all he needs is more frequent water changes to get those fins looking better. Keeping the water really clean is sometimes all that is needed to get them on the road to recovery.

I cannot tell if he has some type of aggressive tail rot, or is he managed to rip his anal and caudal fin off on a decoration in his tank. I don't see any fungus. If you can get them, in addition to the clean water put some indian almond leaves, and some Seachem StressGuard in his water. Both will aid in his healing and help with any infection that might be going on. If he does not seem better in a few days then let us know and we can suggest some medicine, but you'll have to let me know what's available where you live.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 gallons are really not big enough for betta fish long term, they will pretty much always succumb to something preventable. A 3 gallon or more would be the minimum and it would be easier on you because you wouldn't have to clean it as often as you will with a 1 gallon. Its good your climate is the right temperature and that you do full water changes. Definitely make sure you are rinsing his gravel if you don't have a suction tool. Whether he got fungus or ripped his tail, he would greatly benefit to be in a cleaner, bigger, environment in order to heal. Since you don't have a filter, any clear container will do so long as there is adequate gallons. The moderators can help you with medicine recommendations if it calls for it. Good luck with your little one :( I know how much it sucks when something happens to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts