Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a college student and I have had a male betta for about a year and a half know. He is a very healthy and lively fish. My home is about 6 1/2 hours away from my school and he has made the trip to and from multiple times.

I just came home with him for Thanksgiving break. The car ride was normal, I transported him a cup. I then got home, refilled up my 2.5 gallon filtered tank and put him back in. He is acting completely normal.

However, tonight I noticed that his tail pins are a lot shorter than they used to be. I feel like this has been a rather sudden change, as I feel I would have noticed earlier if it was a more gradual change. However, there were no fin pieces floating in the tank. I have had the same fake plant and betta long in the tank the entire time I have owned him, so I am not thinking it was a tear from the tank.

I have no idea what could have happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I am quite attached to this fish. Thank you!

Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It looks like it could be biting. Long finned boys really love to destroy their fins. If parameters look okay then I would guess he's biting. Those green plants do look plastic though so I would watch and see if maybe he's tearing.

If it is just biting then there's not much to do but keep the water warm and really clean. That's how you can prevent any other problems like rot.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
I agree he can be biting and plastic plants are a nono good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Some plastic plants I feel are okay.. I have plastic plants in my boy Bills tank for months with no issues, but I was smart about what ones, no pointy or spiky one, I run them over some old stocking/pantyhose to see if they would catch and cause issues and they didn't if for some reason one fake leaf would catch I'd get my nail file and file it down smooth, and test it again (so much work I know) I didn't know until just recently that my pet shop did actually sell silk plants, they are expensive like $15 for 3 but I got some :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts