Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm Michael, or ExplosiveFish. I have been taking care of fish for a little longer than a year, but, I have a problem. It's with my Male Dumbo Halfmoon Plakat named Elf. I got him at PetSmart on 12/23/14. He was VERY gorgeous back then. I kept him in a 2.5 gallon tank with heated water, lots of decor, a hammock, and some gravel. He had a nice diet of Omega One pellets. (high in protein) He was in that 2.5 for a while until fin rot occurred. His small, beautiful plakat fins were completely destroyed. I managed to kill of the fin rot and he has been living very happy in that 2.5 for a while. I just recently upgraded his tank to a heated, filtered, 5.5 gallon tank. He thrives in that tank, just like he did in the 2.5. The concern is after his fin rot, he never grew his fins back. It has been months since he has had fin rot and I'm very confused. Is it genetics, his type, or it it me and my care? I researched on the topic and I found out that heated tanks and a nice diet will do the trick, but I have been doing that for months now. He is not sick, VERY active, and he doesn't mind his fin rot at all. It's just, it's really hard to look at him as the same betta as he was back then. I have one other betta. She is a gorgeous veil tail female betta named Strawberry. She has had quite the history. She is in currently in the same tank set up as Elf but I feed her the Omega One Flakes, as she has trouble eating the pellets. But what is silly, is when she gets a cut fin or something, the next morning it heals right back up like nothing happened! It is male's genetics? I just have no clue… ? It would be GREATLY appreciated if you answered! Here are some of his pictures and the tanks.

Elf's Tank!

Elf Close Up Now

Elf Back Then

Strawberry!

Please help out, thanks!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have the same problem with my male vail tail Sam. When he gets a split or cut it takes months and months go grow back. Hang in there. Maybe try some betta fix or API aquarium salt.

Do you keep your female in the same tank as the male?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey ExplosiveFish,

My betta had a similar problem, I came home one night and noticed him biting at his tail and that the ends were looking ragged, torn, and much shorter than before. I did about a 75% water change and picked up some API Bettafix at the store the next day. After using it for only a couple of days I noticed new growth on his fins, I was surprised it was working that quickly! So I would recommend giving that a try, a small bottle only cost me a few dollars. Best of luck with your betta!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I use Kordon Fish Protector with every water change. It helps to promote new fin growth (it does a ton of other things, too). It's designed to be used every water change, so it's perfectly safe for your fish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, my male and female do not live in the same tank, they each have their own, separate 5.5 gallon tank. And, I have bettafix, but I tried it on my old dt but it never helped his fin regrowth. I'll try it again for Elf. Also, do you dose it daily or only the time you do the water change?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you're talking about BettaFix, follow the directions on the bottle. If you're talking about Kordon Fish Protector, use it with every water change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Bettafix everyday as the directions say, I can't recall the exact amount to put in but I use it every morning if there is still damage to the fins that I can see

1 - 7 of 7 Posts