Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know how it feels to find a betta at a store that is really hard to leave behind. Whether that is because it is beautiful or in need of a rescue, I have a hard time forgetting those fish that I can't adopt and worry that they'll end up in an unheated bowl or dying in a tiny store cup.

So, I made a blog dedicated to posting the photos and store locations of the bettas we come across, the goal is to help them find someone willing to go out and adopt them.

http://bettafinds.tumblr.com

I plan to run this blog mostly off of submissions from anyone who knows what its like to fall for a betta you can't afford or don't have room for. Anonymous submissions are welcome and instructions on how to submit anonymously can be found on the submission page.

I will not turn down any submissions sent to me here, through PM or in this post, as long as you are comfortable with sending me the necessary information (a Photo and the store location, any other info is optional).

I really hope you guys will contribute (submissions, reblogs, ect.) and that this blog can do some good for at least one betta.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yay! Glad the thread went through! Time to check on a crowntail and HM I saw though I probably won't get to today. Hopefully they're still there and well. If so, I'll submit them.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
This is so awesome! I will try to participate as much as possible to get some of Philly area fish adopted. I'll probably focus on Petco Kings, I have a soft spot for them. They don't appear to be big sellers and seem to languish in the store forever. Not many people want a big ugly fish with short fins (except me).

I stole this from a local Petco. It was in a frame in the betta section. Maybe you can use it to highlight the abuse bettas are put under just for a stupid wedding. Feel free to use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CopperBell: Awesome, thank you in advance for the support ^-^

MikeG14: I think I will post that thank you! Although I will have to advise against using them for things like weddings and as party favors at all in the post, it'll be more of a, "if we can't change your mind at least follow this list" sorta thing. :)

I actually have personal experience with bettas as party favors, my second and third bettas were from a wedding reception, they weren't meant to be party favors, but apparently the staff at the place was just gonna throw them out, so my family and I complained until they agreed to give us the poor things. It was pretty messed up.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
im sorry but at petco they give instructions for how to care for a betta during a wedding...............

because betta fish obviously decorations and not actual pets or anything...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using any living thing for decoration just shouldn't be done, I know Bettas and Doves are some of the most commonly used for weddings. Unfortunately it is gonna happen anyway and we can at least try to teach people how to do it humanely. I've actually found that telling someone how much money and care it takes to get the proper set-up for each betta and then never shutting up about it, can often make them change their mind.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I'm in Canada, is that fine? Probably wont get much attention from anyone anyways since it's a small town in the middle of no where. But you never know..

·
Registered
627 Posts
In an ideal world, living animals shouldn't be used as decorations, I agree. However, I'd rather see it clearly posted that the fish can be returned and don't have to be flushed; than see the fish be flushed or thrown away... which happens too often.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I could actually see the betta at a wedding if the care sheet was done properly. Something along the lines of:

"Hi, my name is *Insert cute betta name*. One of the people at this table might decide they love me enough to bring me home! Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there about bettas like me. So, if you're considering bringing me home, here's what you need to know."

-While I'm OK in this bowl for the wedding\reception, it really isn't a home for me. If you're considering bringing me home, I really need more space to thrive and be happy. You'll love watching me explore!
-I'm OK at this temperature for the wedding because the wedding host was careful to make sure my bowl wouldn't get to cold, but if you take me home, I'll really need a heater. I like temperatures between 78-80 degrees.
-Anyone taking me home needs to be committed to keeping my water clean. The smaller my home, the more water changes I'll need. It will be more stress for both of us. :(
-If not one here wants me, that's OK. The people planning this event have already arranged care for me if that's the case...so that I can have another shot at a happy, healthy home.

Here is more information you need to know about me: *insert standard betta fact sheet*

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I could actually see the betta at a wedding if the care sheet was done properly. Something along the lines of:

"Hi, my name is *Insert cute betta name*. One of the people at this table might decide they love me enough to bring me home! Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there about bettas like me. So, if you're considering bringing me home, here's what you need to know."

-While I'm OK in this bowl for the wedding\reception, it really isn't a home for me. If you're considering bringing me home, I really need more space to thrive and be happy. You'll love watching me explore!
-I'm OK at this temperature for the wedding because the wedding host was careful to make sure my bowl wouldn't get to cold, but if you take me home, I'll really need a heater. I like temperatures between 78-80 degrees.
-Anyone taking me home needs to be committed to keeping my water clean. The smaller my home, the more water changes I'll need. It will be more stress for both of us. :(
-If not one here wants me, that's OK. The people planning this event have already arranged care for me if that's the case...so that I can have another shot at a happy, healthy home.

Here is more information you need to know about me: *insert standard betta fact sheet*
+1 it is perfect

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It still isn't really a good idea in my opinion, especially as often as I hear people say "it's just a fish" and then throw out what I say, or disregard anything (like a heater or a decent sized tank) that costs money, when I try to teach them about proper care.
Also, maybe it's just my family, but we consider it rude not to accept gifts/party favors so my family would take the fish home whether they were willing to listen to the care sheets or not, it's just polite and that's how we were raised. Unfortunately for those little fish.

If you feel like you have to have bettas, I think setting it up with specific people who are willing to care for the bettas beforehand would be best. Like, share the proper care guide with your friends and family and see who is willing to adopt and follow all those guidelines. Then only get as many bettas for the wedding as those people are willing to adopt.

Personally, if I were to have bettas at my wedding, they would be my own bettas and they would be there as guests, not party favors.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I tend to agree with the above. Bettas really shouldn't be used as decorations for weddings. I agree that if you were going to have bettas in the center pieces then you should contact the guest a head of time, thoroughly explain what caring for theses creatures entails, and then say that if any guest would like a better then they must buy a tank and all the necessary equipment before the event. The guest can then inform you that they would like a fish and then you buy one fish for every person who wants one.

Another thing is to buy the equipment yourself and give it the the guests who said that would be interested in having bettas as pets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The blog is getting a decent amount of attention from the fish community on Tumblr, I've even had a few people from my area follow and seriously consider adopting some of the bettas I've posted. :D

Unfortunately I am not able to ship any fish to people outside of my area right now, so I'm hoping if I just keep this up (I go to pet stores a lot, so posting pics of the bettas I see is really no problem haha) it will start getting submissions from all over.

That said, if anyone here has a submission but doesn't wanna bother with Tumblr, I have no problem with you sending the pic and store location through PMs so I can put it on the blog. ^-^

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
:) I'm going to petco today so I'll be looking for bettas that need a home. i'll submit on tumblr though since I'm on tumblr all the time anyway.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Finally went to the store in the first time in almost a month. Went in to look at the platies but they had a newer bunch of bettas. Store is still taking bad care of them (and other animals) but there were some nice bettas there. I'm not interested in any but they are beautiful and I hope they can find a nice home. Attaching pics to this post.

1 & 2: Pretty mostly white doubletail ($7). Has minor fin damage to top lobe of cadual, pretty sure it's from biting. Very active and curious. Came right up to say hello. Quite mellow.

3: Rare find! Feather doubletail! Wasn't active for me but is unclamped and looks in good health. Would take him myself but I am not too fond of his colour :(

4: ******/pinky/purple Dumbo DT. Fairly active and healthy looking

5: White-ish DT with an eerily human eye .-. Mellow but healthy looking

6: Another pinky white DT. Active and healthy looking

There was a gorgeous black bodied CT with vibrant Blue/red fins. VERY active and feisty. He is sitting stacked in a bunch on top of the display. >.> I might go back and get him - maybe. Lots of nice looking CTs, but they were starting to go down hill. If you want them get them fast because they don't last long (health wise) at this store.

Sorry that I didn't PM this, busy atm. I hope the blog is still going well

Attachments

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
-_- first two didn't load. Lemme try again

1 & 2: Pretty mostly white doubletail. Has minor fin damage to top lobe of cadual, pretty sure it's from biting. Very active and curious. Came right up to say hello. Quite mellow. Might be Dumbo too

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.