Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, got sent these pictures of my betta and his find aren’t looking too good. Currently out of town so I can’t get all the measures for ammonia and such. I made a post about this a while ago, most of the specs still holds true. Water changes are like 35% weekly. Was told it was reduced webbing before, not so sure now. The
Plant Purple Nature Botany Organism

Peafowl Purple Azure Beak Violet

·
Registered
255 Posts
Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS
Should include clear photos of your Betta from different angles including above and each side.

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS; DO NOT LINK. THUMBNAILS, PLEASE. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar. Thumbnails allow us to enlarge and focus on areas. Full-size do not.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information you provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

A previous post about the same issue, pretty much all things are the same except water quality which I am unable to test currently, although it has always been in very good condition so I dont see why it would be bad now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Without testing the water, I really don’t think we can offer advice. Your last post was 6 weeks ago and you have a 5 gallon tank with 3 nerites (they will have a large bio load). I doubt that your water changes are sufficient to keep parameters in check. A single betta and one nerite typically needs a weekly 50% change to maintain.

since you can’t test right now, can you ask the fish sitter to do a 30% change now and then repeat every 2 days until three changes have been done? Then it would be good to stick with 50% weekly using a vacuum.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Then it’s very likely that your ammonia levels are quite high - dead snails should be located and removed as soon as possible. Totally possible they will find them during a tank cleaning

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally home and can test.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph7.8

Ammonia tested with salifert and others with api.
My best guess for the snails is the made their eay into the back where I cant reach, Seen one in there a couple times.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Finally home and can test.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph7.8

Ammonia tested with salifert and others with api.
My best guess for the snails is the made their eay into the back where I cant reach, Seen one in there a couple times.
Nitrate = 0? That's very unlikely. Are you sure you are testing correctly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could try to test again, dont have a different brand other than API to cross check. Plants are growing, shrimps are breeding so the other things seem to be doing well. Should I do another test and send a picture of the results?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My 3 tanks have regularly tested at 0 since about a week after they finished cycling.

Normal tank cycle process with the expected ammonia and nitrite spikes before those dropped to zero and I got nitrate readings. The next few tests showed nitrates steadily dropping until they were gone.

All 3 tanks have quite a few plants and only 1 betta inhabitant, with the exception of one tank also having a nerite snail.

Recently started fertilizing and actually got a nitrate reading of 5.0 ppm on one tank, but the others are still at zero.

I can’t say that’s what’s happening in your situation, but it’s not impossible.

I think I saw hornwart or some other type of stem plant in a couple of your pictures? I believe they are excellent at absorbing nitrate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts