Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every once in a while my betta chooses a ghost shrimp randomly to use as his prey as I have multiple ghost shrimp in my tank.

Is it healthy if he were to continue to do this and is it okay for his diet?
(only does this once in a blue moon).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure it's perfectly normal. My Betta has done it to at least 16, and it's perfectly fine.

... Huh. Now I feel bad for having bought all those Ghost Shrimp.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If he doesnt do it regularly and it doesn't impact the shrimp population, I would let him go along with this behaviour, I once purposely placed deformed guppy fry in my Betta tank, to further find out that my betta had exhibited a more vibrant color, and was a bit more active during the period that they were contained within the tank

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can your betta consume the shrimp? I do the same with my guppies, also use platy's!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
37 Posts
Drama I know they can eat them can they "swallow" them down! The ghost shrimp I see usually are decent size.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, they actually swallow them if they get their mouth on them. I noticed that he had this white thing the first time i witnessed it. I was like omg is he choking on gravel? LOL then i was like holy crap hes chewing that shrimp tail down.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
yes boys (and girls!) will happily chow down on shrimp. I caught one of my girls trying to swallow a half dead cherry shrimp whole (I mean half, my boy had just snapped him in half! so I tossed the rest into the sorority and the girls went vicious).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts