Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My betta fish always sleeps. 24/7. I know that bettas like to sleep, but he sleeps all day!! I never see him swimming around anymore! How do I keep my bettas entertained? How do I keep him from being bored? :-?

·
Registered
24 Posts
A lot of times that's actually a sign that the betta is too cold. What temperature is your tank at?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The temperature of the water is room temperature. I didn't want to make it too hot or too cold.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Maggie is correct...water temp can play a role and so can water quality.....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, additives used, water temp, tank mates, how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated, appetite......

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it is a betta kit tank. It's a medium sized container. And I changed the water every week. I don't have a filter, and I'm getting live plants soon. The water temperature is room temperature, and I had him for a few weeks now. He has never been sick before yet. He is a big eater usually. There, I answered all of the questions LOL! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most betta kit tanks from what I've seen are actually fairly small. And sometimes room temperature isn't high enough for a betta. They should be between 77 and 85ish degrees, I think. You might want to invest in a aquarium thermometer so you can check the exact temperature. (; Also, if it's a smaller tank, it should probably be cleaned more than once a week. Once a week is what I'm supposed to be doing for my TEN gallon. So if it's a small betta kit tank, it should probably be every couple days.

I might be wrong, and people can feel free to correct me, but those are my initial thoughts. :)

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
The more detailed the answers the better.....its hard enough helping through a computer and when left to assume.....well.......

Knowing the exact volume of the tank is important as well as the water temp....what about additives....do you use dechlorinator, if so, how do you know how much to dose if you don't know the tank volume.....

As Maggie has stated...in small unfiltered tanks at least twice weekly water changes are needed to maintain water quality to prevent health problems...
Good that you plan to add live plants...that will help with water quality as long as they are actively growing......

Good luck.....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohhh! Thanks a lot! That really clears it up! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts