Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just decided to make a little sheet that had, commonly sold, easy to care for and cheap compatible fish for bettas
if anyone has any corrections on this, please comment and ill edit it

generally compatible fish for bettas

----Name of fish-------minimum tank size------minimum group number

Neon tetras-------------10 gallons------------ Six
galaxy rasboras------------10 gallons-----------Six
pygmy cories--------------10 gallons-----------Six
most other cories-----------10 - 15 gallons -----Six
harlequin rasbora -----------10 gallons---------Six
non fancy female guppies------10 gallons ------- Three
endlers livebearers------------5 gallons---------Three
zebra danios-----------------3.5 foot tank-------Six
Bristle nose plecos------------2.5 foot tank-------One
Bushy nose plecos-------------2.5 foot tank------One
non colorful platies------------10 gallons---------Three
glo fish----------------------3.5 foot tank--------Six
rummy nose tetras------------10 gallons-----------Six
glo light tetras----------------10 gallons----------Six
cardinal tetras----------------10 gallons----------Six
X ray tetras-------------------10 gallons----------Six
"feeder guppies"---------------5 gallons-----------Three
Khuli loaches------------------2.5 foot tank--------Six
Scissor tail rasboras-------------10 gallons----------Six
Otos---------------------------10 gallons---------3 - 4
Bloodfin tetras-------------------10 gallons-------- Six
Rasbora Brigittae-----------------5 gallons----------Six
Black neon tetras------------------10 gallons-------Six
Yoyo loaches

sometimes compatible fish with bettas

---Name of fish---------------------Minimum tank size------minimum group number

male, and female Fancy guppies----------10 gallons-----------three
Honey gouramis -----------------------10 gallons-----------one
bright and colorful platies----------------10 gallons-----------three
Black widow tetras----------------------20 gallons------------Eight to not be as nippy
sword tails----------------------------15 gallons------------Three
Mollies-------------------------------15 gallons------------Three
Angle fish-----------------------------35 gallons-------------One
Gold gouramis-------------------------20 gallons-------------One
Lyre tail guppies-----------------------10 gallons-------------Three

Fish that are rarely compatible with bettas

IM not going to say all the stuff about groups and tank size, because I donnt even want anybody to try any rare compatibilities

Serpae tetras
other bettas
SA chiclids
Dwarf gouramis
Tiger barbs
Boesemani rainbows
Red tailed sharks

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can keep cories in groups of four for the minimum group size. Ideal group size is six but four totally works. For the larger cories ie bronze cories you really can't keep six of them in a ten gallon. Six bronze cories would do best in a 20 gallon although 15 might be feasible.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, thanks for the feedback..... but i cant edit it because of that stupid 15 minute thing.... Grrrr

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so.... does anybody else have anything to say about it. i need some help, i dont know whether it is safe to use...... yet

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fish I listed for 5 gallons were from personal experience. And TBH I would not even keep more than 3 endlers with a Betta in a 5 gallon or 5 to 6 rasboras with a Betta on a 5 gallon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A description of how to get semi-compatibles to work (heavy planting, big tank, proper stocking, etc.) would be great for those who don't know. Also, I would change "rare" compatbility list to an "incompatible" list, a lot of people seem to think they'll be the .01% that gets lucky... Also, a recommendation that communities not be started in under 10 gal tanks would probably be wise. Great list though, we need a basic compatibility info sticky.

Also, I'm interested in how you get they honey an gold gouramis to get along with a betta? where did you hear of these working out?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I've found rasboras are little nippers... unless you have a plakat, maybe. However one of my bettas were in with what I'm certain was either cichlids or gouramis before I got him, and he took serious damage to his faceplate, beard, gill, face, fins, body... So I'd forewarn that gouramis are aggressive, and being in larger groups they could gang up on a lone fish such as a betta. :) I'd rather gourami be a "rare" compatible, as although it COULD be possible, it shouldn't be recommended imo :)

And I agree with scrap, the description of how they can be compatible would be lovely for beginners, and people who don't know how to "make it work"

not a bad list overall =D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not just any gourami...honey gouramis are more docile than even dwarf varieties supposedly...and they're short finned and are a less than common betta color, so I could see this working with a more peaceable guy, I'd just like to know more.

If "angle fish" is meant to be angel, they need a group..and can be agressive, though I've seen it done.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I've never trusted angels with bettas o.o One in the store had about 6 angels in with a betta.... or, what was left of the betta. Poor guy had no fins left.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure I've checked multiple places and they say around 78

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Galaxy rasboras are cold water fish :) 68-75 is usual, however they can withstand up to 80 like many fish. Just, they live better and healthier in colder temps.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fishforums.net and tropicalfishkeeping.com but if they ae cool water fish then they must be like how guppies can live in a heated aquarium but will do better with temps like around 74

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Basically :) I know so many fish including minnows that "can" live in warmer temperatures, but they are better off in colder water :lol: sometimes it is hard to know!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.