Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been about a month since I have noticed my betta’s fins becoming ragged. I immediately called the pet store and they said to use fin and body cure and the stress coat. I did two rounds of it and then I thought he was better, but then I came back from vacation and he was much worse. I did fin and body cure again and he still was laying on the bottom of his tank. I have checked the water levels and they have been fine. I then tried betta fix along with water changes and aquarium salt and nothing has been working. He was a little more lively with the Bettafix and the salt but now he is back to hiding and laying on the bottom of the tank. I don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions? Anything is appreciated!!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Every other day. 5 pellets.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 3 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Pour out water but rinse substrate multiple times and pour out.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Stress coat
What brand of conditioner? Top fin

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH): 180
Alkalinity (KH): 180

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About a month ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins are more ragged and missing pieces.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? More lethargic, at bottom more.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Fin and body cure at first, then Betta fix with aquarium salts
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 year and a half
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
3,662 Posts
Thanks for filling the form. I'm really sorry your boy is having issues.

To begin with, your boy is underfed. 5 pellets every other day is not enough for a betta. Feed him 4 meals of 3 pellets every day. A Betta from above should look like that
Water Event Font Carmine Darkness

100% water changes are stressful for the fish, and can often crash the tank's cycle. If I were you I'd stop all the meds and do 25% water changes every other day. Your tank is not cycled (you can't have 0 nitrates without a ton of plants), so when your Betta's fins are back to normal, follow this guide CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

Also, add betta fish hammock or a tall anubias for him to rest on without needing to swim a big distance to get to the surface.

Please keep us updated on his progress. I hope that your boy starts feeling better soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts