Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend recently purchased a betta fish. I had set the tank up for her correctly cycling it and showed her how to correctly do a water change. She went out and bought a betta fish which came back looking rather banged up. It's slow and was really struggling with the filter in the tank, which we have now turned off.

I'm not that experienced with keeping betta and am live away from home at the moment so i'm unable to assist a lot, but I'm unsure whether the betta has fin rot or is simply been beat up on being shipped and will get better without medication.

I have attached a few photos, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
18,838 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

If you could try to get him to flare it would be easier to tell if this is fin rot, damage or biting (yes, they do bite their own fins).

For now, 2x per week 25%-50% water changes. I use Rooibos Tea or Indian Almond Leaves and SeaChem StressGuard for fin damage. The former have mild antibiotic properties and the latter antiseptic properties. Boil the IAL or RT to make a strong "tea." Add to tank until the water is tinted a medium brown. Store rest in refrigerator.

I would also feed frozen Bloodworms, "Mini" Bloodworms or Brine Shrimp to make sure they are eating. Once well, I would switch back to pellets: Fluval Bug Bites, NorthFin Betta Bits and American Aquarium Carnivore. Any of these are fine as the sole source of food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum!

If you could try to get him to flare it would be easier to tell if this is fin rot, damage or biting (yes, they do bite their own fins).

For now, 2x per week 25%-50% water changes. I use Rooibos Tea or Indian Almond Leaves and SeaChem StressGuard for fin damage. The former have mild antibiotic properties and the latter antiseptic properties. Boil the IAL or RT to make a strong "tea." Add to tank until the water is tinted a medium brown. Store rest in refrigerator.

I would also feed frozen Bloodworms, "Mini" Bloodworms or Brine Shrimp to make sure they are eating. Once well, I would switch back to pellets: Fluval Bug Bites, NorthFin Betta Bits and American Aquarium Carnivore. Any of these are fine as the sole source of food.
Thanks for the reply will do all I can!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm no expert, but that looks like a "crowntail" to me. What did the label say on the container the fish came in?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts