Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, recently I noticed my betta's back tail looking ripped up and ragged, and I figured this could be caused by water quality and tank conditions. I had a brown algae problem that I have since fixed completely, and have regulated the pH and alkalinity levels religiously. I've been treating him with Melafix for about two weeks. I haven't seen any worsening of the condition, but I'm not seeing much regrowth. He's acting completely normal and happy; he's swimming around consistently and normally and has an appetite. Is there anything more I can do to help his tail grow back?

· Registered
2 male bettas, 2 female bettas, other tropical fish, betta spawn
491 Posts
Welcome!
Can you please fill out this form so we can see what's going on?
Please copy and paste and answer the questions.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!
Can you please fill out this form so we can see what's going on?
Please copy and paste and answer the questions.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.
I really don’t have access to something where I can get exact numbers on my water parameters. I have testing strips and monitor them closely but I don’t know the numbers.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? San Francisco Bay brand frozen food
Do you feed flakes or pellets? No, defrosted frozen
Freeze-dried? Occasionally as treats (Top Fin brand)
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day. I feed him with an eyedropper after defrosting the frozen food and only give a few at a time.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Yes, vacuumed
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Nitrifying bacteria starter and stress coat. Conditioner brand is Top Fin

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About 2 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His back tail began to look ripped and ragged and it looked like he was losing parts of it completely.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all, he seems completely happy and normal. Regularly moving around the tank, occasionally picking one of his favorite hiding spots.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, he has a big appetite
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes - with Melafix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? About a month and a half
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

· Registered
2 male bettas, 2 female bettas, other tropical fish, betta spawn
491 Posts
It seems to me that you are doing a pretty good job taking care of your betta. I might sometimes do a 35% water change, though. I typically do around 35% weekly for my 5 gallon.

According to the information, your betta seems to be ripping his tail. This could be on any decor, I recommend silk or live plants, or other decoration. It needs to be soft and no sharp edges. I recommend feeling the decor and removing the sharp ones if needed.

If this is not the case, your betta is probably biting his or her tail. Some long-finned bettas may bite their tail. This could be happening because:
*They are just upset their tail is weighing them down making it hard for them to swim
*They are stressed

Your betta biting it's tail may be a lifelong habit. I actually have a betta who does the exact same thing often. Or it could just be stress of a new environment. The best chance to try to get your betta to stop tail biting is:
*Give your betta places to rest so they won't get too tired swimming with a long tail
*Reduce the filter strength (Maybe put a sponge over it?)
*Reduce stress overall

Normally, bettas biting their tail but still acting like a normal fish doesn't really impact the fish. As long as you keep up on your water changes - and possibly change to 35% weekly - your fish will do fine. A bitten tail or ripped one is easier to get infected, because it is more exposed so water changes are important.
I wish you the best luck with your betta, hopefully it lets it's long, beautiful tail grow back! :)

· Registered
Current: Black CT Midnight RIP: Spotty, Blaze and 2 bettas I killed when I was little
692 Posts
One more thing, if I’m not wrong melafix had essential oil in it. It’s not very good for the betta’s labyrinth organ. I suggest you use less than the suggested dose.

· Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
4,447 Posts
It seems to me that you are doing a pretty good job taking care of your betta. I might sometimes do a 35% water change, though. I typically do around 35% weekly for my 5 gallon.

According to the information, your betta seems to be ripping his tail. This could be on any decor, I recommend silk or live plants, or other decoration. It needs to be soft and no sharp edges. I recommend feeling the decor and removing the sharp ones if needed.

If this is not the case, your betta is probably biting his or her tail. Some long-finned bettas may bite their tail. This could be happening because:
*They are just upset their tail is weighing them down making it hard for them to swim
*They are stressed

Your betta biting it's tail may be a lifelong habit. I actually have a betta who does the exact same thing often. Or it could just be stress of a new environment. The best chance to try to get your betta to stop tail biting is:
*Give your betta places to rest so they won't get too tired swimming with a long tail
*Reduce the filter strength (Maybe put a sponge over it?)
*Reduce stress overall

Normally, bettas biting their tail but still acting like a normal fish doesn't really impact the fish. As long as you keep up on your water changes - and possibly change to 35% weekly - your fish will do fine. A bitten tail or ripped one is easier to get infected, because it is more exposed so water changes are important.
I wish you the best luck with your betta, hopefully it lets it's long, beautiful tail grow back! :)
Perfectly said!
One more thing, if I’m not wrong melafix had essential oil in it. It’s not very good for the betta’s labyrinth organ. I suggest you use less than the suggested dose.
Melafix Dangers; Betta, Labyrinth Fish, Pencil Fish True! A link i found usefull!;)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks! I’ve opted to switch from that to small doses of aquarium salt to help regrowth. I dissolved about a teaspoon in some of his tank water yesterday and then added it. I’m gonna monitor him for a couple days and then do a 25-35% water change. Thanks for all the advice!

· Administrator
24,577 Posts
The Melafix is fine at a normal dose. As explained in the article linked by betta4ever! that it harms labyrinth fish is just more Internet skewed logic. The oils are refined and water soluble.

If you can find plain Rooibos Tea or Indian Almond Leaves they are a much safer and more natural treatment for fin damage than salt. Both of the former have antibacterial and antifungal properties. If floating doesn't attain at least the color below, brew a strong tea, treat and add to the tank until of good color. You can store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Even with fin rot, except in extreme cases, two 25% water changes per week + vacuum will go a long way toward healing fins. When you see clear tissue you are seeing regrowth.

Most pet stores will check parameters for free. Get the actual numbers. Sometimes hard water can cause fin curling. While the u-shaped missing pieces usually indicate fin biting it is good to keep IAL or Rooibos in the tank to prevent infection and fin rot.
Flower Plant Nature Leaf Sunlight

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.