Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm kind of new to owning a betta, I had one for about three years but never really had any problems with him. However, I've recently adopted a veil tail betta; I've had him for about six months now. I was cleaning his tank today and noticed that the very tips of two of his fins are starting to looking frayed/fuzzy. It's not that bad, if I hadn't sat down and observed him for as long as I did I doubt I would have noticed. But anyways, I started to research what it could be and I found out that it could be fin rot. Is this true? And I read on the same article that I can use AQ Salt to treat him, but how do I go about doing that? How much do I use? Do I need to quarantine him? If I need to quarantine him, how should I do that? How long do I need to treat him? Is there anything else I can do? I've gone on so many websites for this but everyone says something different. And I noticed this group is filled with a lot of knowledgeable people who seem to know a lot about bettas, so I figured I'd post on here.

Any info about fin rot, treating fin rot, or really any info will be appreciated <3 Thank you so much!
Also, I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I'm still new to dealing with bettas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My betta back tail is stuck together and looks like its shrinking! I thought his water was too cold so I fixed it but I don't know what it is . can someone help me or tell me what to do . I love my betta !&#55357;&#56471;

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hello! I'm kind of new to owning a betta, I had one for about three years but never really had any problems with him. However, I've recently adopted a veil tail betta; I've had him for about six months now. I was cleaning his tank today and noticed that the very tips of two of his fins are starting to looking frayed/fuzzy. It's not that bad, if I hadn't sat down and observed him for as long as I did I doubt I would have noticed. But anyways, I started to research what it could be and I found out that it could be fin rot. Is this true? And I read on the same article that I can use AQ Salt to treat him, but how do I go about doing that? How much do I use? Do I need to quarantine him? If I need to quarantine him, how should I do that? How long do I need to treat him? Is there anything else I can do? I've gone on so many websites for this but everyone says something different. And I noticed this group is filled with a lot of knowledgeable people who seem to know a lot about bettas, so I figured I'd post on here.

Any info about fin rot, treating fin rot, or really any info will be appreciated <3 Thank you so much!
Also, I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I'm still new to dealing with bettas.
Never be sorry for asking too many questions. :)

It's really hard to say without being able to visually see for ourselves what it is you may be dealing with. Any closeup and clear photo's you could provide may help.

If you could, please, copy/paste this form into a new post here in the thread and answer all of the questions. Be absolutely sure to include your water parameter readings as those are critical in helping us to better help you. Include weather or not you have plants, too. :)

Edit: Helps if I include the link... derp lol.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

My betta back tail is stuck together and looks like its shrinking! I thought his water was too cold so I fixed it but I don't know what it is . can someone help me or tell me what to do . I love my betta !��
Could you pretty please begin a new thread? It's very difficult to help two people in the same thread, and it looks like the two of you may have different issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My betta fish's back tail is stuck together and looks like it is shrinking! He can bearly swim. So he stays at the bottom of the tank. Can someone help me!!! Please I hate to see him like this! I love my betta! I went to a web site and it said to put hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip and put it on the tail. But I want to get a second guess on what I should do. I replyed on someone else's thing about it case I didn't know how to post it but I know now.

·
Super Moderator
19,227 Posts
BettaGirl521: I've moved your post to the Diseases and Emergencies Section. As Mousie asked, please copy and paste the linked form and provide of with as much information as you can. We also need a clear photo of your boy's fins. Without the questionnaire and photo it would only be guessing as to what he has. It could be fin rot; it could be biting.

penggy: Please start your own thread in the Diseases and Emergencies Section and copy and paste the linked form into it. Clear photos are a must as fins can have many problems and each needs a different treatment.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Betta Fish & Fin Rot: Updated Info

Hello! I posted on here yesterday about my betta, Prince, and whether he had fin rot or not. I was advised to take pictures and fill out a forum about what's been going on. So, I'm posting again today with updated info and pictures. I hope this helps you guys help with what's going on a bit more!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 and a half gallons 5

What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees as of right now, because his heater broke the day before last and I just got him his new one.

Does your tank have a filter? No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, he lives by himself. I tried putting an otocinclus in his tank with him and he just would not let that happen :(

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I feel him Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits with natural color enhancers. They're also pellets, not flakes.

How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed him 3 pellets once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? One to two times a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add Betta Safe Water Conditioner since I have to use tap water to fill his tank.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No I haven't. I'm taking some water up to the pet store to be tested tomorrow after work. I will leave a comment on this thread tomorrow to let you guys know the water parameters.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Two of his fins are looking frayed/fuzzy. The worst one is his top fin.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's more docile than normal. Normally he's more aggressive and will flare up at certain things he sees. But lately he's been very calm and hasn't flared up at things that much.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed him being calmer about two or three days ago and I noticed his fins yesterday while I was doing a water change.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I haven't. I'm posting this thread to figure out the best way to treat him.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, not at all. This is the first time.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't think he's even a year old yet. I got him about maybe six months ago.

I attached the pictures to this post, please let me know if they show up correctly. Any info will be appreciated, thank you! <3

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thank you guys. I posted another thread with updated info. It's called "Betta Fish & Fin Rot: Updated Info"
I included pictures and anwered your forum. Only issue is I haven't done a water test yet, I'm taking a sample of his water up to the pet store tomorrow and I'll update that part of the info tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
19,227 Posts
I can't see anything wrong with his fins. Is there something in his tank that could have damaged them? When you get the water tested tell them you want numbers; don't accept "It's fine" or "It's safe."

I merged your posts for you so all of the information is in one place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He has some fake plants in his tank that he often hides by. and okay, I'll do that. They normally give me a sheet with all the info on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts