Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got my first Betta fish a week ago. For the last couple days it has been hiding in the rock cave mostly. When it came out today I noticed the fins had deteriorated since the first day- especially its top fin considerably- I've attached pictures to compare the first day to now. What have I done wrong? What should I do? Is this an illness? It was swimming around and very active the first 4 days, but the last few days it has been inactive and hiding- yesterday it didn't eat, but did eat today. I went to the store today and there is 0 ammonia and they said the water parameters were perfect (I cycled the tank prior to putting the betta in). It is in a 5 gallon with some plants. Thank you!

Attachments

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,426 Posts
So sorry your boy is struggling. Even though you've only had him a short time, please copy, paste and fill out this form in its entirely. NA if you don't know. Thank you.

Moving to Diseases and Emergencies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes, 2 small sponge type filters
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The 2 small sponge type filters
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No tank mates

Food:
What food brand do you use? imagitarium pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both, but mostly pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1 time a day, around 4 pellets

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?1 time a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? city water with dechlorinator
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I used a siphon
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I added API betta conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: NA (Petsmart said it was perfect)
Nitrate: NA (Petsmart said it was perfect)
pH: NA (Petsmart said it was perfect)
Hardness (GH): NA (Petsmart said it was perfect)
Alkalinity (KH): NA (Petsmart said it was perfect)

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? today after it was hiding for 2 days (didn't eat yesterday)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? It's fins are jagged
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It is more inactive
Is your Betta still eating? Today it ate, but not yesterday
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I don't know what the problem is
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
It looks to me like he’s nipping. Can you post a pic of the whole tank? It looks a little bare from what I can see, he may need more cover. Also I have a few of those little caves and they can have some sharp edges. I no longer use them for my long finned guys. Do you have any Indian almond leaf? It helps calm them but will also help keep the nips from getting infected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

I got my first Betta fish a week ago. For the last couple days it has been hiding in the rock cave mostly. When it came out today I noticed the fins had deteriorated since the first day- especially its top fin considerably- I've attached pictures to compare the first day to now. What have I done wrong? What should I do? Is this an illness? It was swimming around and very active the first 4 days, but the last few days it has been inactive and hiding- yesterday it didn't eat, but did eat today. I went to the store today and there is 0 ammonia and they said the water parameters were perfect (I cycled the tank prior to putting the betta in). It is in a 5 gallon with some plants. Thank you!
Following because sim having a very similar issue with a brand new fish but had no comments on my post 😕

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,426 Posts
Following because sim having a very similar issue with a brand new fish but had no comments on my post 😕
You post was only seven hours ago. Note when the last comment on this post was made: 21 hours ago. We are all volunteers and we answer as best and when we can. Have patience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You post was only seven hours ago. Note when the last comment on this post was made: 21 hours ago. We are all volunteers and we answer as best and when we can. Have patience.
I truly didn’t mean any offense and certainly wasn’t expecting an immediate response. I was just following along to see the responses for someone having a similar situation. I’m sure you can understand that we can be desperate for answers when something is going wrong.

I’m sure you all work very hard to keep up with the massive number of posts. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts