Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe there is something wrong with my betta. He is just floating at the top, at an angle, with his mouth open. Every once in a while he'll sort of come back around, gasp for air, blow a bubble, something. When he does this, I see cloudy stuff come out of his mouth. I also noticed today that he has something resembling a white cloudy residue around his mouth and face. I tried to get a pic of that but there was too much light in the room, sorry! I believe his dorsal fin is also clamped -- it's been that way for a while. He used to have fin rot, especially on his anal fin, but that has gone away and the fins are starting to grow back. When I tried feeding him some food, he does not eat. He also currently has an Indian Almond Leaf in his tank, and two snails that are fairly new.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? Don't have a thermometer, but guessing around 77 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Two snails: Leopard snail and zebra snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Betta Min 3-in-one
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? Some
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, 6 or 7 pellets or 6 or 7 flakes. If not these, then 3 or 4 pieces of freeze-dried shrimp

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once every couple of weeks
What percentage of water did you change? About 30%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I let the water evaporate down until it is too low, then add more conditioned water.
What additives do you use? Conditioner, then most recently, put in some ammonia clearer (I think he has clamped fins) thinking that would take care of the clamped fins

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This morning
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Was a bright red, but over time, has lost some of the vibrant color
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Yes, he's not swimming as much, just resting at the top of the water and resting a lot on his leaf. Pretty lethargic.
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes, had some fin rot in the past, but that has started going away and the fins are growing back
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? This will be the 7th month I've owned him. He came from a Feeders Supply.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi

Heres the problem
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once every couple of weeks
What percentage of water did you change? About 30%
You should be doing 50% water change every week.

What temperature is your tank? Don't have a thermometer, but guessing around 77 degrees
You need a thermometer.

You water change schedule is bad to say the least. What your fish needs is lots of clean warm treated water, Seachem Prime is quite good.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hi there. Yes NickAu is right, your setup needs improvement and you really need a filter because without one you won't get a cycle going and will have ammonia issues in your tank. I have a 5.5 gallon setup that is very easy maintenance especially for those on a budget or not experienced in fish care. Just click my link below to read more. Also get Kordon Fish Protector, it is herbal, it has echinacea in it, repairs tissue, resolves clamped fin, boosts immune system function and reduces stress. Keep the faith, sending positive thoughts your way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.