Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:)

What gets along with Betta Fish? we want to actually get one or 2.

as of right now i have 2 boy mollies(1 acts like a bully boyfriend got mad and thinking about flushing him) NO OFFENSE

and 2 female mollies...

2 orange and black female mollies

3 unknown baby mollies(sex unknown)

1 dwarf frogs

6 tetras- 2 black neon and 4 green and neon

2 serpae tetras- males

1 algae eater

1 guppy- male

all in a twenty gallon tank .....

·
Registered
393 Posts
do you mean you want to add a betta to your 20 gallon community tank?

·
Registered
393 Posts
welllllll unfortunately you can only have ONE betta per tank. unless it's a sorority (lots of female bettas) which should only be done by experienced betta keepers, or if it's a divided tank.

the other problem is you have a lot of other fish in your tank that would probably nip at your betta's fins if you had gotten any with longer fins.. or your betta may see the others as an enemy and be mean or kill them... o_O

BUT a lot of people have had bettas in with other community fish. but it all depends on the fish personality, how big the tank is, what fish are in it, how many hiding places there are. and in my opinion with the amount of fish you already have and the size of the tank it might not be a good idea for even just one.

but i'm just going off of my experience and what i've read in other people's experiences.

there is another section of this forum though that specifically talks about betta fish compatibility. here's the link: http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102

·
Registered
393 Posts
i wouldn't recommend a fish bowl for a betta unless it's heated. depending on how many gallons it is depends on how much you need to do water changes. but, a betta could "survive" in a bowl, but that doesn't mean it's going to THRIVE and be happy.. most people recommend having at least 2.5+ gallons for a betta. they do in fact swim a lot more than most people think.

·
Registered
393 Posts
but still, i honestly wouldn't advise a bowl. it's hard to keep it clean and safe for a betta. it's easier for them to get fin rot and other things in a bowl i think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts