Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first betta fish, Hector, and I'm really worried that he's sick: this morning at around 7am I noticed two very small fuzzy-ish looking dots (each around the size of a needle eye or smaller) on the right side of his anal fin. They're a little hard to see in the photos, sorry -- I'll try to get some better ones later when I get back from class. I believe this may be a fungal infection of some sort, but I'm not sure.

He's in a 1.8gal tank (I live in a dorm right now, so I can't get him a larger one until I move out in May), no tankmates other than some Java fern, anubias, duckweed, and azolla. He has a filter and a heater; his water is at around 77 degrees. I feed him Aqueon brand betta food.

Last night around 8pm I did a partial water change (~50%) and introduced some new plants: 1 anubias nana on driftwood (not quarantined!), and some azolla and duckweed (collected from a local pond and quarantined for a week). Water was conditioned with Seachem prime, and after changing the water I did a water test with the API kit.

Ph: between 7.2 and 7.6
Ammonia: between 0 and 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate: between 10 and 20 ppm

I'm not sure why the nitrates are so high; last week when I changed/tested the water it was at 0 ppm. If anyone has advice on how to lower the nitrites, that would also be appreciated. I went to my LFS and they told me to do a 25% water change and add conditioner, which I do once or twice a week anyway and it doesn't seem to have helped.

Before installing Hector, I had a fishless cycle with plants (the java fern and the original anubias) for almost three weeks. For two weeks, there was a ghost shrimp in the tank as well, but then Hector moved in and killed it.

Hector has been acting normally -- very active, ate normally this morning, comes to the glass when I get close. For what it's worth, I noticed that he ate a chunk of either old food or poop that he found on the bottom of the tank yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if that would've made him sick or not. I'm super worried about him and I don't know what to do! Is this an issue, and if so, how should I go about treating it?

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts