Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'd love some help in the gender of this little tyrant. She is suppose to be female but I cannot find an eggspot. I love her either way but just want to make sure. 馃檪

Attachments

Registered
Looks female to me! It's not always possible to find an egg spot and I've even heard they can sometimes be found on males. :shock2:
Pretty girl! :nicefish:

Super Moderator
Pictures not clear and too dark. But guessing female because of small dorsal and ventrals.

She should have an eggspot, though sometimes not too clear. Only young males have eggspots. Once they get older, usually it disappears.

Registered
I usually don't bother to look for "eggspots" (ovipositors) at all, TBH. Some females seem not to have them, some males seem like they do... It's just not reliable in my opinion.

What you want to look for are ovaries. If you shine a flashlight from behind your fish, a female will show a large triangular shadow extending from behind the stomach towards her tail. That shadow is her ovaries! A male will not have this shadow, they will just have the rounded stomach area and then muscle. If they are particularly young- less than three months or so- then ovaries might not be developed enough to be easy to tell apart from testes (which are much smaller, but kept in the same area of a fish's body). I will attach a few pictures to this post of female bettas with their ovaries highlighted to show you where to look (and one male without).

You can also use body shape to inform your guess- females will usually be stockier, because they need room to put their ovaries- and fin size/shape- females usually have shorter fins, particularly ventral and anal- but like eggspots, I don't consider them to be accurate for every fish.

In the pictures you posted, it looks to me like your betta is female, but I can't be sure because I can't see the shape of ovaries too clearly. If you can do the flashlight trick, that should make it pretty obvious which she is. Either way, they're a lovely fish!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts