Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a friends betta fish that they no longer had room for so please don’t judge and I appreciate all helpful comments. I’ve had him for about a week and when I got him his fins were already a bit torn I think it was due to the decorations they had but I also want to make sure it’s not fin rot. Also his left gill is sticking out slightly and I don’t know if that’s a problem. He is in a 10 gallon tank, very active and is eating good. I’ve attached some pictures.

·
Super Moderator
526 Posts
Hello and welcome!

You really got a beautiful Betta.

Is his gill flap still sticking out? If yes, he might have had damaged tissue in his gill and overgrowing tissue makes the flap stick out. This could have happened due to an injury.

Concerning his fins could you possibly get him to flare for another picture so his spread fins could be seen? From what can be seen so far there is no sign for fin rot.

Please also fill out the linked form so all relevant information is in one place.
Thank you!

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome!

You really got a beautiful Betta.

Is his gill flap still sticking out? If yes, he might have had damaged tissue in his gill and overgrowing tissue makes the flap stick out. This could have happened due to an injury.

Concerning his fins could you possibly get him to flare for another picture so his spread fins could be seen? From what can be seen so far there is no sign for fin rot.

Please also fill out the linked form so all relevant information is in one place.
Thank you!

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...
Thank you for replying @Feanor

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78.5-79.5 depending on the time of day
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Top fin betta bits but just switched to fluval bug bites betta formula
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day I sprinkle about 6 little crumbs of the bug bites. When it was pellets I gave him about 3 pellets twice a day. Fasting on weekends

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Only done 1 water change so far
What percentage of water did you change? 50% because I changed the substrate
What is the source of your water? Filtered tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I Just changed the substrate from the one he used to have.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
API stress coat+ and stress zyme+

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: not sure
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm
pH: 6.2
Hardness (GH): 250
Alkalinity (KH): 20 ppm
I tried to be as accurate as I could. I used some tetra easy strips to test the water. Some of the parameters say they aren’t good. How can I fix.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A few days after I got him
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Hasn’t changed
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Hasn’t changed
Is your Betta still eating?
Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Not sure
How long have you owned your Betta?
A little over a week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Gill damage

His gill is still sticking out hasn’t changed. Is overgrown tissue bad?

Here is a picture of him flared.

This is his current tank set up

·
Super Moderator
526 Posts
So first things first:

His does not have fin rot. However his caudal fin seems to have some tearing as far as I can see.
If this was his old decor in the tank sharp edges might have been the reason before you got him. I´d take that (artificial?) stone out and run a pantyhose over and through all edges and holes. If it snuggs so will his fins. You could either sand it down or replace it with something smoother. It looks great though (as does your whole tank) so I hope it´s not the reason.

You could promote fin growth by adding an Indian Almond Leave or a bag of plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Concerning your tank parameters and cycling:
  • Right now I´d recommend a 50% water change to get the Nitrites down.
  • I would start all over again with a both established and easy to follow tutorial I´lll link below.
  • Test strips tend to be inaccurate so I´d invest in an API Freshwater Master Test Kit (much cheaper on a long term basis than strips) as well as a bottle of Seachem Prime (which you´ll need for the tutorial and which takes care of Ammonia and Nitrites during the cycling process).

Here´s the tutorial:
CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So first things first:

His does not have fin rot. However his caudal fin seems to have some tearing as far as I can see.
If this was his old decor in the tank sharp edges might have been the reason before you got him. I´d take that (artificial?) stone out and run a pantyhose over and through all edges and holes. If it snuggs so will his fins. You could either sand it down or replace it with something smoother. It looks great though (as does your whole tank) so I hope it´s not the reason.

You could promote fin growth by adding an Indian Almond Leave or a bag of plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Concerning your tank parameters and cycling:
  • Right now I´d recommend a 50% water change to get the Nitrites down.
  • I would start all over again with a both established and easy to follow tutorial I´lll link below.
  • Test strips tend to be inaccurate so I´d invest in an API Freshwater Master Test Kit (much cheaper on a long term basis than strips) as well as a bottle of Seachem Prime (which you´ll need for the tutorial and which takes care of Ammonia and Nitrites during the cycling process).

Here´s the tutorial:
CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial
I just bought the api test kit and the seachem prime. Going to work on that later today and hopefully I can get it all sorted out. Thank you @Feanor for the feedback and the tutorials. Wish me luck

·
Super Moderator
526 Posts
I wish you luck and and I wish you‘d post any kind of questions - no matter how tiny you think they are and any time they come up☺.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish you luck and and I wish you‘d post any kind of questions - no matter how tiny you think they are and any time they come up☺.
I know I already thanked you but I just wanted to do it one more time. Thank you 😂
That test kit works wonders and it’s much easier to read the levels. Everything is at the perfect range for my betta. That’s the last time i trust those test strips

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your fish is very beautiful, as well as your tank!
Thank you 😊. I got him from a relative. They got a 55 gallon tank and he let me have his 10 gallon along with the betta. No idea where he got it but I’m really enjoying having him around.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome and he is a pretty guy. I used to use the strips also and it had my tank so far off I was freaking out. e took the water to the petstore to test the. Water and they used the same strips. I couldn’t get the ammonia down. So I decided to get the kit and the ammonia was just fine. Grrr all those water changes and freaking out for no reason. So I vouch that the strips aren’t always accurate. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts