Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my betta fish has been so active and willing to eat ever since I got him about 6 months ago, and that hasn’t changed, but lately he’s been having some problems.

For one thing, he has what looks to be fin rot. I tried betta fix for a few days to treat that, but then I ran out and anyway I’ve seen mixed reviews for the effectiveness of that product. What else can I do to treat that?

Also, he has a pretty noticeable lump on his side. I’ve seen a lot of possible causes of that but I’m worried that it’s probably cancer. He isn’t lethargic though. Any idea what that could be? And, if it is cancer, how long he has?

Also also, this is probably more minor but he has been having a hard time grabbing his food. He lunges for it but often misses, and just in the past couple days he’s been spitting out the pellets he does manage to swallow. I recently switched his food to a different brand and maybe those pellets are bigger, but it seems like he’s having a hard time even getting the smaller ones in that container. It’s really sad to watch him try so hard to get them but eventually give up. Should I just switch back to the old food? I will probably do that and update later on how easily he’s able to eat. I’ve been giving him flakes which he has a much easier time grabbing, but I worry that they are not nutritious enough and that they are polluting the water. (I’ve also tried cutting up the pellets. It kind of works but it’s really hard to do and they often just sink to the bottom of the tank quickly)

So yeah... I hope people who are more experienced with betta fish can help me with these things. He’s in a 5 gallon tank by himself. All the water conditions including ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites that I’ve been able to check are fine. Sorry you can’t see the lump very well in the 2nd pic, but it’s on his right side near his tail.
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just so you know, his tank has a heater and filter. The temp is always at 78 degrees F. I try to change his tank water about 25-50% once a week, but to be honest sometimes I’ve gotten lazy/busy and only changed it every few weeks- every month. He’s never shown any signs of illness before a few weeks ago. I used to feed him Wardley pellets, but I recently changed to Aqueon and have been giving him some Tetra Betta Flake Medley fish flakes to help him eat easier. I use Tetra Aquasafe for bettas water conditioner. If you guys need any additional info, let me know.

·
Super Moderator
21,820 Posts
Sorry your boy isn't doing well. Please fill out this form. I realize you will be repeating some of the information but it gives us the most important information in an easy-to-reference form. Until the form is filled out all anyone can do is guess. :(

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure. Sorry I didn’t see that before.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
78 degrees F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Wardley, switched to Aqueon + some Tetra Betta flakes
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets normally, but have switched to flakes to help with his eating
Freeze-dried?
No. I’ve tried to give him freeze-dried bloodworms but he doesn’t seem to like them
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Twice a day but sometimes once. 2-3 pellets if twice, 3-5 if once. For the flakes I’ve just put in a pinch or so twice a day (although I haven’t been giving him flakes long enough to have developed any kind of routine)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once a week or every two weeks typically, sometimes as much as a month between each water change
What percentage of water did you change?
Probably a little less than 50%
What is the source of your water?
My bathroom faucet
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
I used to not be able to work the siphon, but a few weeks ago I was able to make it work I think and cleaned the gravel. Other than that I never really cleaned the gravel except for about a month or two ago when I took most of it out and rinsed it well.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
Tetra Aquasafe, no other additives

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
I really can’t give you exact numbers because all I’ve used are at-home tests that are pretty vague
Ammonia: looks to be by the chart i use consistently at 0
Nitrite: safe according to chart, but I don’t know the exact measurement.
Nitrate:^
pH: I don’t really know, the tests haven’t been very clear. I think it might be slightly alkaline.
Hardness (GH): I don’t know exactly, but safe
Alkalinity (KH): Haven’t tested that

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
I don’t know, maybe a month ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Frayed fins, side lump
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Not really at all. Still very active. No noticeable changes
Is your Betta still eating?
he had a pretty hard time with it, but yes. He still likes to eat and swallows up the flakes very well. I am worried though that he spits out the pellets even when he does manage to get them.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
tried betta fix, but not with much commitment and I have to get more to continue using it. Other than that I just did a big water change (50%) and will continue to do that pretty often. Tried cutting up pellets and feeding flakes to help with the eating. Don’t know what to do about the lump.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No. He’s always been fine.
How long have you owned your Betta?
about 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
I don’t think so

1 - 4 of 4 Posts