Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So I have had my betta fish for around 5 months, and he has been perfectly healthy. Recently, around 6 days ago, I noticed that he had a hole in him that is clear through near the back end of him. I was quite distressed because I had not noticed it before, and I look over him each day. So I read online about trying melafix, so I went out and bought some and followed the directions on it. I have used it for the past 6 days. There has been no improvement, and he has stopped eating. He used to swim around a lot, and now just lays at the bottom of him bowl. He lives in a 1/2 gallon fish bowl without anything fancy in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat my fish??

·
Registered
901 Posts
Oh, from what I've read, Melafix = bad. It's basically just an antiseptic based on tea tree oil, but it can damage a Bettas' labyrinth organ. (Betta Fix is the same thing, but much diluted).

With fin rot, moderate temperature, lots of clean water, some Aquarium salt, and maybe stresscoat seem like the low impact treatment of choice.

There is a list of medicines if it seems advanced (ie, it's on his body) that are in the stickies in the disease and emergencies forum, but I do not have any personal experience with those.

Good luck! I would discontinue melafix and start AQ salt, or look up the meds if you feel it's particularly advanced. I have a crowntail just coming off a light case of it (10 days of salt treatment).

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well.....

We need some more info and a pic.....

In the half gallon-how much and how often are the water changes (before you started treatment) any filtration, live plants, types of additives used, appetite/type/amount food, any tank mates and water temp....

Right now-I would recommend that you start making 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today to get the medication out-To see if this will perk him up before you move on to other treatments....

Be sure the replacement water is near the same temp as the tank water and use proper amount of dechlorinator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures

There is a picture of where he lives, as well as a pciture of the hole. Kind of blurry, but will try to take a better one. Just wanted to show how big the hole is.
fish tank.jpg

hole.jpg

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ow! Your poor fella. That looks almost fungusy to me, but I'm NO expert and would suggest that you post that picture over in the Disease and Emergencies section where the actual fish MD's hang out most often.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Okay...its not in the fin but in the body...that makes a big difference...how long has he been like that, is it related to an injury....

Right now-once you do the water changes to get the medication out-lower the water level by half-Then-I would get him started on high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal, keep the water temp low 76F for treatment.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one (either IAL or dried Oak leaf) and use this premixed water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
Tomorrow start 50% daily using the premixed treatment water for the next 10 days.
If you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed several times a day to boost protein intake.

Good luck, hopefully this isn't fast acting flex.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has had the hole for around 5 days. It is not from an injury, he lives by himself and there is nothing sharp to poke him in his tank. I will try the aquarium salt, thanks!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm sorry :| The picture looked pretty serious. It sounds like he had a good 5 months with you, and if you decide to adopt another at some point, well, you are probably much more educated about potential betta issues!

He was a pretty fellow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts