Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

LONG TIME NO TALK.

I am currently re-cycling a 5gal tank (it took a while for me to get the courage to adopt another Betta Baby after the previous one passed), and WHILE I WAIT, my Bubba Blu (his name hehe) is in a plain 1.5gal naked bottom acrylic "tank".

He only has one black tube ornament he sleeps inside. Everything else is settling in the new 5 gal, awaiting him (in like a month or so... *SIGH*).

LONG STORY SHORT:
Temperatures have been fluctuating like crazy in my new apartment, so I moved him into the laundry room where it is more stable.

HE HAS VELVET NOW!!!

His appetite is still in tact, thank lawd, but he started BITING HIS TAIL LIKE CRAZY, and this is just too much.

My 3rd Betta to be a biter (he was THE CALMEST Betta I have ever adopted so far, had the PRETTIEST TAIL EVER---he was gorgeous) aaand now has parasites.

WHY.

I have been doing 90% water changes basically every day with AQ SALT and keep him in the laundry room which we LEAVE THE LIGHT OFF (I head Velvet parasites are weaker when there's no sunlight).

I don't have any Aquarisol or CopperFix or anything... I'm afraid medication in such a small enclosure would kill him.

WILL THIS VELVET EVER GO AWAY WITH JUST FREQUENT WATER CHANGES & AQ SALT?!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. His velvet hasn't gotten TOO BAD YET, but it is unsettling.

Please help me save his life. :sad: :cry:

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Can we get any sort of pictures? Velvet isn't shiny gold as everyone thinks it is, it is more like a flat yellow colored dust, smaller than Ich but you should still be able to see the individual cysts generally if you have good eyesight. If it is golden and you only see it with a flashlight or in certain lighting then it's probably just his iridescence.

Also, if he does have Velvet then I suggest you find Cupramine by SeaChem, it's mild compared to CopperSafe or CopperFix and the small bottle comes with a dropper for easy dosing, I think it's 2 drops per gallon so that is very easy to dose the small tank. Velvet cannot be cured with just salt and changes unfortunately, you'll need to black out his tank (with a towel or blanket) and only peak if you absolutely need to, like to feed him or change his water. And then dose the Cupramine if you can find it hopefully and if you can, bump his heat up to 86-88 as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lilnaugrim,

thank you for the reply!!!

and yes, he FOR SURE HAS VELVET. I shine a flashlight on him and he is a deep blue and now has golden "dust" all over him. It's pretty gruesome.

There's an attachment (please excuse bad lighting... he was camera shy and uncomfortable with the bright flashlight in his face):

ALSO, it looks a little like Ich but I know it's straight up velvet. The lighting was WAY TOO FORGIVING and made his velvet seem really miniscule... IT'S NOT.

He is in such a small enclosure, he can't have a heater or else the temp. would fluctuate too much! :-(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Okay, yeah I see it on him. You'll definitely want to find Cupramine, ask around your stores for it. Velvet is a nasty parasite and as I said before, you can't cure it with just salt and water changes unfortunately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts