Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I'm quite new to keeping betta and the experience has been wonderful. However, last week my betta, Raintown, has started losing his color on his tail. They appear to be white/transparent highlights or streaks. I've read about white cottony patches but they don't seem like patches to me.

He lived in a small bowl when the white streaks appeared so me and my sister assumed it was because of poor housing, and we can't really do much about it since our parents don't like us using too much money on him for they assume him to be a 'low-maintenance fish'. BUT LUCKILY, I found an old 1gal tank from my neighbor and asked for it for free, although its not the best and not the minimum 2.5gal, it was much bigger and the best I could find :(

But then after moving it to the bigger tank, the white streaks eventually started spreading more. Now, I'm not sure and have any idea what it could be.

I took a picture and showed it to the petstore staff. They gave me this medicine and used it for Raintowns water. They didn't charge me, which was kind of them. They said it was antibiotics, and it turned Raintown's water yellow.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon :(
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature (23 to 27°C)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No (I'd love to buy an airstone but how does it work?)
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aquadine Betta Basic Food (spirulina and krill meal)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice Monday to Wednesday (morning and night) I don't feed him on Thursdays and Fridays. I feed him pea on Saturdays.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% daily and 100% every 2 days
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add a de-chlorinator. (I wish I got some AQ salt though, but they sell it in HUGE buckets here)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Unfortunately, a water strip test is a bit expensive here and my parents wouldn't allow me to purchase one)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has white/transparent streaks on his tail.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has gotten a LITTLE dull. Oh and he stopped pooping ever since he got into the new bowl :(
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last week.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I've put some antibiotics in his water that turned it yellow.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has some cases of SBD when it was really cold but not anymore. I try to feed him less now.
How old is your fish (approximately)? We had him on January 5.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
First he may have some sort of fungus and you will need a fungus med like API Fungus cure.

also you need a heater - they are required of bettas since they are tropical fish. You need to get a heater asap.

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
If it is cottony, it is most likely columnaris. Weird, I was dealing with a columnaris case yesterday.

It is a fungus, so you need to change the water 100% daily. It IS contagious, so isolate him if you have any other fish. Along with this, you want to treat him with 2 tsp/gal of AQ salt, but no longer than 10 days. If you can, lower the temperature to 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, adding Mardel's Coppersafe OR a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn II is also known to help.

Good luck with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First he may have some sort of fungus and you will need a fungus med like API Fungus cure.

also you need a heater - they are required of bettas since they are tropical fish. You need to get a heater asap.
Thanks for the advice! Ill be sure to get a heater. Although, I live in the Middle East and its pretty hot at this time of the year. The temperature goes up to 35°C, will it affect the water or I'll still need a heater?

Also, can I use any other alternative for the API fungus cure? Cuz most of the items here are China-made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is cottony, it is most likely columnaris. Weird, I was dealing with a columnaris case yesterday.

It is a fungus, so you need to change the water 100% daily. It IS contagious, so isolate him if you have any other fish. Along with this, you want to treat him with 2 tsp/gal of AQ salt, but no longer than 10 days. If you can, lower the temperature to 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, adding Mardel's Coppersafe OR a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn II is also known to help.

Good luck with him.
Thank you! Oh my, I ddnt expect caring for a fish was this costly haha perhaps I'll try with the AQ salt and if that doesn't work I'll proceed with the coppersafe or maracyn.

Is columnaris and fungus infection the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, columnaris is a bacterial infection, usually a fast killer, for which you need anti-biotics to treat it. Here is some reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columnaris

Fungus is not a bacteria, and will not be affected by anti-biotics, but it is highly susceptible to salt or to various dye based medications, often easily available at a pet shop.
Thanks for the reply!
Yes I showed a picture of my betta and I was given antibiotics that turned my fish's water yellow. Is that correct?
If I use AQ salt, would it help my fish if ever it is a fungus infection?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I honestly don't know if the yellow water is normal or not, but if you're following the instructions on the medication, you're likely doing the right thing.

The salt may or may not work with the anti-biotic. The packaging or the leaflet might say something about salt, but otherwise you can contact the manufacturer and ask. I'd suggest doing one treatment at a time, otherwise you risk them interacting and rendering each other ineffective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I honestly don't know if the yellow water is normal or not, but if you're following the instructions on the medication, you're likely doing the right thing.

The salt may or may not work with the anti-biotic. The packaging or the leaflet might say something about salt, but otherwise you can contact the manufacturer and ask. I'd suggest doing one treatment at a time, otherwise you risk them interacting and rendering each other ineffective.
Well the thing is, the instructions are in Japanese but the pet store staff has given me ample instructions, which are hopefully correct. They told me to keep this up for a week so maybe after that I'll try the AQ salt. Thanks for the advice! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.