Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Okay so, my betta fish Padfoot has been acting alittle funny his belly became bloated and he cannot swim normal he's only on his side.

So I assumed it was swim bladder and I've been treating with betta fix his bloating went down but he's still on his side and cannot right himself.

The week prior to this happening we were treating the water with Melanie because we had cyano bacteria. He was fine after the partial water change. 2 days later he had a bloated tummy and he was swimming on his side.

I'm not roo sure what to do now I have gone over everything I can find otherwise he looks ok. No sign of disease.

If someone could help me figure it out I'd be super grateful I don't want him to die.

Plant Insect Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant

Plant Leaf Houseplant Vegetation Terrestrial plant

Plant Vertebrate Botany Sunlight Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallon

Does it have a filter? Yes

Does it have a heater? Yes

What temperature is your tank? 78

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
Yes, his tank is divided in half so each side is 2.5 gallons. On the other side is my other betta Mooney they cannot see each other and he has been fine. No direct tank mates in either side.
Food:

What food brand do you use? Aqueon

Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets

Freeze-dried? No I also got them bloodworms but I haven't given it to them yet with everything going on

How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Daily 2 pellets morning and night

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 20% Every 3 weeks the week prior to him getting sick we did treat the water with Melafix, the tank had Cyano Bacteria. It cleared up and we did a water change and then 2 days later he got sick.

What percentage of water did you change? 20% to 30%

What is the source of your water? Well water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Just api water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Sadly I only have the basic ammonia and pH levels I'll attach a photo

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Last Saturday

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He became bloated. He has now returned to normal no bloat.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He seems like himself he just can't swim

Is your Betta still eating? No

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? When this started last Saturday I ran to the store and got betta fix. I've been treating the water for 6 days now and he is still not ok. We also fasted him for 3 days

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No

How long have you owned your Betta? Since March 2022

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

I‘m sorry your Betta is not doing well.
Please help us help you by filling out this form:

BF Diseases & Emergencies Form

Just paste it back here and fill in your answers to the best of your ability.
Thank you! Just filled it out to the best of my ability. :)

Hi feanor, here is my water I went and got this kit hopefully it helps. If someone can help me please I'm so worried.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
How is he doing right now?

Buoyancy problems have different reasons.

To start finding the causes, I‘d do two 50% water changes a couple of hours apart to reduce/dilute what ever might cause his swim bladder problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hes still on his side he isn't moving much and he hasn't been eating.. I did a 50% water change on Sunday night. He's still the same. The water is alittke better but not perfect. Changing the water didn't do anything to change how he is sadly. Idk what else to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
Have both sides of the tank been treated for Cyano bacteria?

And what kind of product was used?

I‘m only trying to find any hints to what‘s going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have both sides of the tank been treated for Cyano bacteria?

And what kind of product was used?

I‘m only trying to find any hints to what‘s going on.

Thank you for helping. Okay so we used:

Mardel Maracyn for the cyano bacteria. It was a 1 week treatment and it worked. I treated both sides. The tank has a feature that has an opening from the water from one side to flow into the other so they share the same water.

after we did the Mardel Maracyn he was fine for 2 or 3 days and then he started to get sick. did a 50% water change the water has improved but he has not.

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
You want to consider a temporary hospital tank for him.

Reason for that is that you might need to try an antibiotic like Seachem‘s Kanaplex.

I‘ll tag @Veloran to see what he would suggest and how he‘d assess the current situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You want to consider a temporary hospital tank for him.

Reason for that is that you might need to try an antibiotic like Seachem‘s Kanaplex.

I‘ll tag @Veloran to see what he would suggest and how he‘d assess the current situation.
Thank you! I'll do whatever ypu guys think I need too I just don't want him to die!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts