Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first of all thank you for coming to take a look, I hope you can help.

I have had my Betta, Wilson, for a little over a year and for the past few weeks have been growing concerned for his health. He has been laying on the bottom of his tank on his left side with his head facing toward top of the tank. He will come up very occasionally for air and then float back down. He will eat but will wait for the food to float down rather than come and get it like he normally would. He has always been active and friendly but now he is lethargic and spends his time on the bottom of the tank. I have read up and I believe it to be SBD but I am no expert! Around 5 days ago I did a 100% water change. Yesterday 25% and again today 25%. I use 'Interpet bio active tap safe' with every water addition. I had been advised to try the pea treatment of feeding a thawed frozen pea however he wouldn't touch it!

Tank details;
-2 Gallon Tank
-He is the only fish I have
-Tank has smooth ornaments, artificial plants
-I use a low current filter
-He has a heater that keeps the temperature at 78*

Food details;
-He has king British tropical fish flakes however I didn't realise they were not that great for him so I have order hikari bio gold Betta pellets.
-I fast him one day a week.
-some days I feed flakes (soon to be pellets) other days I feed frozen bloodworm

If any other info is needed please let me know. I just don't know what I should do to treat him. Please advise :)

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
There is a sticky with questions at the beginning of this forum. I would recommend lowering the water level, or putting him into a shallow hospital tank, so he can get up easier.
Possibly AQ would help. If it is SBD, unscented epsom salt would help a little.
I'm sorry he isn't doing well.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It does sounds like that he has SBD.

lowering the water level is a good idea.

However, do not treat with AQ salt. It makes SBD worse. Treat with Epsom Salt. Make sure it is unscented. You can find this at pharmacies, grocery stores and hardware stores. Add 1 teaspoon per gallon of water to his tank. Dissolve the salt in a cup of tank water first and then over the course of an hour slowly add it back to the tank. Do not use for more than 10 days.

The flakes are most likely the cause of this. They lead to constipation and bloating and all the nutrition in them leeches into the water when being fed. Hikari are not that good of a pellet. They are an improvement from flakes but they contain a lot of fillers that can also cause bloating and constipation. If you can try to get Omega One or New Life Spectrum pellets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.