Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta fish is sick? Torn fins and colour loss

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Destinystar 
#1 ·
I've had my betta fish, Eugene, for a few months now. Before yesterday, I was changing his water once every month because that was what the pet store manager told me...Now I know better.
I regret putting him through so much stress. I did a 100 % water change yesterday and cleaned everything in his tank. He has torn fins. His colour has also become dull (he used to be a very bright metallic green. Now he is blackish grey.)
I am very worried and I want him to get better as soon as possible. I know I am at fault and I want to try everything to correct it.
I have a 2.5 G tank with a heater, so the temperature is somewhere around 78-80. I removed the filter since it had such a strong current and took up half the tank. I feed him pellets twice a day (4 pellets in a day). I also put aquarium salt in the water along with a conditioner that has stress coat.
If I continue to do 100% water changes every other day, will his colour come back and will his fins grow back? I just want him to be healthy again.

#2 ·
Your betta has lost color due to severe ammonia poisoning. This happens when you don't change his water for a month. :[ I'm glad you know better now, the best thing you can do is do partial water changes every couple days. Consistent 100% water changes is too much stress every few days. You want to keep his environment as clean as possible without pushing him over the edge. Though he's in a frail state, you may be able to get him back to health, but there's defiantly no guarantee about the color. If the torn fins, fin rot, hasn't reached his body and become too severe, he may be able to grow them back out, though he will never nearly be as beautiful as before. You can treat him with a combination of gram negative and gram positive bacteria medications like Maracyn and Maracyn Two that you can pick up from the petstore. Follow the instructions and you may be able to improve his situation. You can follow up by adding aquarium salt until he gets better. As for the ammonia poisoning, there's not much you can do but wait it out and keep his water clean. Best of luck to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.