Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a new betta fish yesterday and am having some problems. (I have never owned a betta before this). I have a 2.2 gallon tank for my betta fish, a heater, an air pump, and a filter. In my new tank, I filled it with tap water, and then treated it. After letting the tank run for 15 hours, I put the fish in. (I let the temperature inside the cup equalize with the temperature inside the tank before letting the fish in). At first, the fish seemed fine, exploring the tank and swimming around. After a few hours, though, I came back in and the fish was sitting on the bottom, occasionally coming up for air. Afterward, he would lay back down. He has been doing that for hours now. I checked the nitrate and nitrite levels, and they are good. The pH is around 7.8 though. Is this bad? I have heard it should be around 7. I fed him last night and this morning. I feel like I have been doing everything right, but I'm not sure what is going on and I want my fish to be okay.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,024 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did use conditioner, and I just attached a photo. It is called BettaSafe and it is by the brand Tetra. It says: "BettaSafe neutralizes harmful chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals in tap water and adds a protective slime coating. Can be used for all ornamental fish, not just Bettas."

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha sorry. :smile2: Thanks for the replies. Well, I decided that the water was probably the problem, so I bought bottled water that is meant for fish aquariums. After putting the pre-conditioned water in, I waited a while and my fish is actually swimming around a lot more and is no longer resting on the bottom. I think the water was the problem, but it would be expensive to buy pre-conditioned water every week. What can I do about making my tap water suitable for my betta? Since he is doing a lot better, I'm not sure how well the pictures will help, but I will post some anyways.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts