Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since school's started up again, I've had to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. When I sleep, I don't like any lights on, but I'm afraid this is affecting my betta.

I wake up at 6:30-7 am. It's light out, and I open the blinds slightly so some sunlight comes in. Then, I don't get home until 4. I usually do everything in my room, so my ceiling fan light is on. But, it starts to get dark around 6:30-7. Sometimes I'll turn on a lamp light for my betta, but other times I won't. Once I go to sleep, all lights go off.

I haven't been so sure on this issue, so I've left a blue nightlight on for the past couple of days. Is it okay for betta fish to be in the dark? Will it affect his health?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Bettas need a day & night cycle. I actually cover my betta tanks with a black towel at night. Turn the lights off at night, you really don't even need them during the day unless you have live plants. My lights are on timers so they all go on when I walk in the door after work. I really only run the lights for about 5 hours a day. My fish seem to prefer a darker tank and I've found that the ambient room light is plenty for them when I'm not home. I also use low light plants that don't seem to mind either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts