Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bug Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once every 12 hours a few tweezers full

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 20%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Tetra Aquasafe Conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
I don’t know my water parameters

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Tonight (October 15th, around 11:30pm)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Orange spot on left gill
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No noticeable change
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Hello everyone I would really appreciate some help with this. I am a first time fish owner and very anxious something is wrong with him. I noticed this orange spot on him tonight and i can’t tell if there’s other gold spots just from his unique coloring or if it could be velvet. Granted i’m not sure how velvet would occur considering he is alone in a completely brand new tank. His name is Keanu Reefs and i believe him to be a juvenile. Please help me thank you very much.
9B647797-4C86-4570-A72F-2D3A5F3A23D3.jpeg
29B1B80F-84E8-42D5-9005-B9D3B238622F.jpeg
6827ADCE-DF0D-4E7D-B010-D6C82ACD1FEE.png

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,179 Posts
Looks like an injury or scrape. Is there anything in his tank that could have caused the damage?

You can treat with Aquarium Salt. Mix one teaspoon in a cup of treated water until it is completely dissolved. After four days, do a 50% water change and repeat. It's doubtful he will react adversely to this but treat the first time when you can be home for a few hours just to make sure.

IMO, a better treatment or additional treatment is to make a strong tea of either Indian Almond Leaves or plain, decaffeinated Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Add water conditioner and pour into tank until it is at least the color below.

As an aside, when you do water changes you need to deep clean the substrate. If you just dip out you will not be removing the detritus which works its way down into the substrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like an injury or scrape. Is there anything in his tank that could have caused the damage?

You can treat with Aquarium Salt. Mix one teaspoon in a cup of treated water until it is completely dissolved. After four days, do a 50% water change and repeat. It's doubtful he will react adversely to this but treat the first time when you can be home for a few hours just to make sure.

IMO, a better treatment or additional treatment is to make a strong tea of either Indian Almond Leaves or plain, decaffeinated Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Add water conditioner and pour into tank until it is at least the color below.

As an aside, when you do water changes you need to deep clean the substrate. If you just dip out you will not be removing the detritus which works its way down into the substrate.
I really appreciate this reply thank you very much. I definitely will give this a try.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bug Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once every 12 hours a few tweezers full

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 20%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Tetra Aquasafe Conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
I don’t know my water parameters

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Tonight (October 15th, around 11:30pm)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Orange spot on left gill
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No noticeable change
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Hello everyone I would really appreciate some help with this. I am a first time fish owner and very anxious something is wrong with him. I noticed this orange spot on him tonight and i can’t tell if there’s other gold spots just from his unique coloring or if it could be velvet. Granted i’m not sure how velvet would occur considering he is alone in a completely brand new tank. His name is Keanu Reefs and i believe him to be a juvenile. Please help me thank you very much. View attachment 1022745 View attachment 1022746 View attachment 1022747
He's beautiful! Sorry you're having a hard time :(

Was your tank cycled before you popped him in? Could there be an issue with ammonia building up in the tank or filter? Sometimes ammonia can burn their skin and it can turn into sores like this.

If it's a thing, I found these articles to be super helpful re cycling:

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's beautiful! Sorry you're having a hard time :(

Was your tank cycled before you popped him in? Could there be an issue with ammonia building up in the tank or filter? Sometimes ammonia can burn their skin and it can turn into sores like this.

If it's a thing, I found these articles to be super helpful re cycling:

Good luck!
Hey thank you for the reply! I do not think it is ammonia because his water is cycled through with a filter and I do a partial water change weekly. It also seems to be healing already so i believe it may just be a cut. I will read these articles though and check them out. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't forget to keep us us posted on how he's doing or if you notice anything else.
Thanks for the help everyone. Keanu seems to be healing and is still eating and acting the same as before the injury. He got a nice deep clean today and some new water :) I appreciate all the helpful advice!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey thank you for the reply! I do not think it is ammonia because his water is cycled through with a filter and I do a partial water change weekly. It also seems to be healing already so i believe it may just be a cut. I will read these articles though and check them out. Thank you!
That is great news!
It sounds like you are keeping the tank in really good condition, for his wound to heal so nicely.

The filter will 100% be helping to oxygenate his water and remove impurities and gunk from the water, but it won't remove ammonia and nitrite (invisible chemicals that occur from his poo and wee and other waste once it rots, including from any gunk that might be in the filter) until the tank has "cycled", where good bacteria has built up enough in there to munch it all away as soon as it occurs, which can take time. Only one fish doesn't create much ammonia, but he only has a small house, so a tiny bit could still irritate or burn him, so it's really important. Your water conditioner may or may not neutralise ammonia temporarily, I know Seachem Prime does for 24-48 hrs or so...

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,179 Posts
Glad he is doing better. And I agree, highly unlikely there is an Ammonia issue or he would have off-colored gills which he does not. It's a scrape that will heal if his water is clean. Secondary but not would be adding IAL or Rooibos Tea are added to help prevent infection.

Oh, and I researched, and Aquasafe is equal to Prime.

Keep up the good work! (y)

PS: When the budget allows, I would recommend you purchase and API Freshwater Master Test Kit. IME, knowing parameters is the most important thing in an aquarist's arsenal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad he is doing better. And I agree, highly unlikely there is an Ammonia issue or he would have off-colored gills which he does not. It's a scrape that will heal if his water is clean. Secondary but not would be adding IAL or Rooibos Tea are added to help prevent infection.

Oh, and I researched, and Aquasafe is equal to Prime.

Keep up the good work! (y)

PS: When the budget allows, I would recommend you purchase and API Freshwater Master Test Kit. IME, knowing parameters is the most important thing in an aquarist's arsenal.
Thank you very much for your advice. I actually did look into some testing kits online and hopefully will be purchasing some soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts