Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never a dull moment, it seems, with Shark and his tank set-up! First tail biting and then a potential ich starting up on him, as well as spiking ammonia levels which are better due to more frequent water changes, but now there's these little white lines scattered on the glass of the tank with a few swimming in the water here and there. They are itty, itty bitty, about a half centimeter long and hair-thin.

I did some googling and my best guess is that they popped up from my pleco, named Pleco :cool:, being over-fed. I'm still trying to gauge how much of his tablet to feed him, and I need to look into other treats and things, too. He's an albino bristle nosed.

I'm not too worried about it, since a water change is schedualed soon and I'll try to vaccum them all up and be more cautious on feeding Pleco, but I was wondering:

Does anyone think they will harm them? From the looking in I did on them, my conclusion was that they wouldn't, they were harmless, but now I think Pleco is going around eating them. I've read before that they are omnivorous, not just strictly algea-eaters, and I was concerned if that would hurt him at all? Do you think they pose a threat to my betta, Shark, at all? There's also a snail in the tank a bit bigger than pea-sized, of what type I know not yet. I think Cargo(the snail) layed eggs, though, because I found some gooey blobs stuck to a sea-shell in the tank which I scrapped off and cleaned. Not sure how I feel about a snail-infestation D:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
ooooh! I know these... They are harmless. Annoying, but harmless. It is actually due to overfeeding. Commonly found in most spawn tanks where there is an overabundance of food, they can pop up. I forget their name however...

Basically more water changes, and trying to remove any extra food that is not eaten by the end of each day. They are a pain to remove... But all else fails Pleco or Shark may end up eating them. They can be a source of food sometimes... :lol:

Snails can explode into hundreds really fast. If you want to avoid it, you may either opt to remove said snail (maybe rehome) or just do what you did... Remove the eggs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooooh! I know these... They are harmless. Annoying, but harmless. It is actually due to overfeeding. Commonly found in most spawn tanks where there is an overabundance of food, they can pop up. I forget their name however...

Basically more water changes, and trying to remove any extra food that is not eaten by the end of each day. They are a pain to remove... But all else fails Pleco or Shark may end up eating them. They can be a source of food sometimes... :lol:

Snails can explode into hundreds really fast. If you want to avoid it, you may either opt to remove said snail (maybe rehome) or just do what you did... Remove the eggs.
Awesome :'D Pleco really seems to enjoy gobbling them up XD I'm not too worried about it, but I wanted a second(or third, or fourth...) opinion. He's definitely getting overfed, but when he eats his algea wafer, he ends up scattering it all over the place o_O' Bare bottom cage right now, I'm thinking of switching to sand or a substrate in-between gravel and sand a friend recommended. It's black in color, which would make the fish's colors pop! Not to mention all the plants, since many of them are neon-colors. Also, a fake goldfish. His name is Fred. XD

I've really grown quite attached to the snail, Cargo, but a snail infestation is not what I want. I might end up rehousing him to his own little tank... guess I've got some more research to do! Either that or find someone to take him, but I haven't the faintest clue who would adopt a snail from me o_O and I've no idea what kind he is, since he came in on a plant I bought. He's growing at a pretty good clip, I'd like to get pictures of him and see if I can't get him identified.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Bah someone on here would love a snail ;p

Probably a mystery or nerite pond snail... Pretty common.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'Fraid Cargo isn't either of them ;w; I've been googling snail names as I come across them, trying to see if any match. When he's a little bigger I'll post some pictures!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Interesting :lol: definitely post pics when you can :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the best picture I could get of him with this camera. I got him maybe about a month ago or so, and he was itty, itty bitty. Now he's the size of a very large pea. Where should I post a thread on trying to identify him?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
He looks like a regular pond snail to me. They can come in various shell pattern's like Ramshorn come in different colors ^_^ he's quite cute!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Love having one (or a few) large snails :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! >u< I put him on the airline hose since it's got a bunch of algea growing on it, and he's been happily munching away XD

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
lol cute! Yeah, I have one large pond snail in each of my Betta tanks and I love them :-D great algae eater's and quite inexpensive ;-) haha And if they ahve babies, the Betta's just eat them so I'm not worried about an invasion lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol cute! Yeah, I have one large pond snail in each of my Betta tanks and I love them :-D great algae eater's and quite inexpensive ;-) haha And if they ahve babies, the Betta's just eat them so I'm not worried about an invasion lol

...huh, then I'm impressed Cargo has gotten so big XD He was a baby when I got him! Shark actually saw him one time on the glass and attacked him, when he was about pellet sized. Then Shark looked confused because the thing stuck to the glass wasn't one of his pellets, and he's paid Cargo no nevermind ever since! xD I'd say he's a pretty laid back betta - when he first saw Pleco he rushed over, looked at him, and then swam away and like Cargo, hasn't paid him any nevermind ever since.

OwO

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Pond snails can get actually pretty big! My biggest one is is the size of almost 2 frozen pea's! He's a big'un lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pond snails can get actually pretty big! My biggest one is is the size of almost 2 frozen pea's! He's a big'un lol
Long as I don't have to worry about him outgrowing the aquarium, we're good ;D

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh yeah, yeah! Now they don't get big like Nerites or Mysteries. They can just get bigger than the normal pellet sized ones you see when you get plants or things like that lol That's all ^_^

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah, yeah! Now they don't get big like Nerites or Mysteries. They can just get bigger than the normal pellet sized ones you see when you get plants or things like that lol That's all ^_^

Good to know XD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts