Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on converting my 20 gallon fish tank into a dual Betta tank with a divider in the middle. I want to have 2,10 gallon sponge filters on each side of the tank. Would I need to have two heaters, one for each side of the tank also? Because I read that the heater should be at water flow so it distributes heat evenly within the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I were you, I would get two different heaters since it's such a big tank. I would suggest putting the heater in the middle, but the bettas would probably be attracted to the warmth and discover that the other fish was there and get aggressive. Hope the bettas are well!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I treat divided tanks as separate: Two filters and two heaters. I found these filters perfect as they provide surface agitation and yet are gentle enough they don't need baffling. They are sponge filters with a spray bar and their own pumps:

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-internal-filter-if-202.html

I use a 3"-4" piece of screen across the top of the divider to make a "T" shape. This gives you 1.5"-2" of overhang on each side. Allows you to raise the water level and keeps the Betta from jumping.

An alternative is to make a middle section to house the filter and heater. I would get the next size up filter if doing that. It is always better to over filter. If you read the description filters will say "Up to ?? gallons."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts