Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so recently my male betta fish has (i think) an opened wound on the side of his body. I was changing his water last week when i noticed it and there was a few drops of blood in the container I had him in prior changing the water. I have been using betafix and changing 1/4 of the water to keep the tank/water clean but the wound has grown a bit bigger, im not sure if its a fungus/ infection. My betta still swims around and is blowing bubbles in the tank, but he chills near the heater/filter and lays on his side. However, when he swims he does seem to struggle a bit and does sink. Pictures are attached below.
!!!!!!help!!!!!!

first pic is on friday night, the second picture is today from a few hrs ago.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
Can you please fill out the form below to give us a better idea of what may be going on with him?

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information *you* provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
betta form about wound

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1.5 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 26 degrees C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? betta bio-gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dri
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? twice a day, 3 pellets in the morning and 3 afternoon

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks, if did once a week ill take out less water than my twice a week
What percentage of water did you change? depends, sometimes i would take 1/4 sometimes half 1/2
What is the source of your water? tap water mixed with betta conditioner and bio fish bacterial
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? not sure what this means
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? biostart beneficial bacteria/(conditioner) betta safe water conditioner both by aquatopia

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: unsure
Nitrate: unsure
pH: 6.8 - 7.0
Hardness (GH): unsure
Alkalinity (KH): unsure

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? last friday, (16th of feb)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? no changed in apperance, just the cut on the side
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? incapable of swimming a lot, but still will swim however will sink
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? yes with betta fix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? nearly 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information *you* provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
Hi, so even though I would expect it to be a little whiter, it does appear to be fungus. Fungus is generally a symptom of a larger issue and he may also have infected the wound.

As of right now, I do not want to get into antibiotic treatment, but you need to treat the fungus.

You water change regime is a little lacking, and the question about vacuum or dip out water is to determine if you're getting the gunk out from between the gravel or just changing the water.
For his recovery, I would like to see him in a hospital tank with clean water or a thorough cleaning of his tank making sure to get all of the debris and waste material from between the gravel. It is important that his water be pristine.
Next, you should start a fungal treatment such as Jungle's Fungus Eliminator. If you can get your hands on some Indian Almond Leaves, put that in with him or see if you can get your hands on some pure, unflavored Rooibos tea (Twinnings has a line, it's in the red box). Run that course of treatment and see how he responds, since he's still active we should be able to treat the fungus and he'll take care of the rest.

I'm hoping that he won't need it but have a look around to see where you may be able to obtain Kanaplex. If he's not able to take care of the infection himself, we may need to hit him with the antibiotic.

Long term, you will need to increase your maintenance activities, water changes need to happen 2 - 3 times 50% weekly in that tank and you will need to gravel vacuum his tank. Make sure to get the debris that gets stuck between the gravel. As he gets older, he's only going to start to have more problems especially if he injures himself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you!!! ill try and order some almond leaves off amazon/ebay but ill see if i can search in store first, maybe itll be easier for me to get the tea instead. if you mean unflavored, is there anything specific i would need to check on the ingredients to see? and how would i put it into the water?

Currently I am doing about a 25%- 30% change every 2 days, but ill start doing them every day so he can get better.

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
If you look at the ingredients on the tea, the only item that should be listed is the tea, there should not be anything else.
You can use the tea in a couple of ways, you can brew it according to the instructions on the package then add the brew to the tank or the simpler way is to just hang it in the tank. Since he's sick, if you're hanging it in the tank, just leave it in there, the water will turn all brown but he'll love it. Remember to use this in conjunction with the the Fungus meds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay yeah, because I live in Australia we have a different tea called 'Just Rooibos African Tea ' which seems the most natural, unflavoured tea. i haven't gone in store yet to look at the ingredients at the back, but it says its organic herb tea etc online.. which i assume is all natural. The twinnings rooibos tea here, is mixed with vanilla and caramel so that's a no go. Do i change teabags every day? or every few hours?

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
You can change with each water change or as you deem necessary to keep his water a nice brown stained while he's sick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just a heads up. Rooibos tea is NOT true tea. It's an herb closer related to legumes, so if you're looking for tea, go for plain black. English breakfast/Irish breakfast are usually just tea.

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
Just a heads up. Rooibos tea is NOT true tea. It's an herb closer related to legumes, so if you're looking for tea, go for plain black. English breakfast/Irish breakfast are usually just tea.
The fact that it is not a tea is exactly what you're looking for, you want the tannins and not the chemicals or caffeine.
Black tea (or any tea for that matter) has caffeine which is dangerous to your fish and even decaffeinated tea has small quantities of caffeine in it. Decaffeinated tea can sometimes be chemically washed, but very typically (especially when they say naturally decaffeinated), is merely just varying the leaf size, quantity and steeping time. Leaving those teas in the tank would subject the fish to quite a bit of caffeine.

Also, Rooibos is a naturally fragile plant, the same chemicals that you spray on other plants to kill pests will kill the Rooibos plant, hence it has to be grown organic, exactly what you're looking for to give to your fish.
I do not recommend you put any other teas in with your fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, i wasn't planning too, I was just going to look at rooibos tea for my betta. I'll keep updating if he likes the tea - if I find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts