Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I keep my fish in a 1 foot(length) 5 inches(height) glass aquarium but he keeps seeing himself in the mirror and I don't know if it is a problem for his health he probably does it every time he looks at himself is this a problem? (PS if my thread is confusing I'm new to this forum sorry)

·
Registered
35 Posts
You shouldn't keep him by a mirror. It's healthy to have him flare up as exercise. No more than 3-5 mins (So I've heard) a day or he will stress.
Can you get a backdrop, or something to cover that side of the tank if you cannot move it to a better location?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Keeping him by a mirror will stress him out. Constant flaring can also harm him physically. You will need to find a way to cover the mirror or as suggested create a back-drop on the side of the tank that faces the mirror. You don't need to buy the stick on kind from the pet store, you can make your own and tape it to your tank, even if it is just a cut piece from a paper bag. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the problem ill have to cover the entire tank considering the walls is the mirror but I don't care as long as my fish will be happy and healthy thank you(ill send a picture of the tank soon)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Do you mean the glass of the aquarium being the mirror?

How long have you had your fish and the tank? If he is a new fish he may just need more time getting used to his tank. Try to leave the lights off to reduce the reflection in the glass.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would bet if you just covered the walls of the aquarium that are close to him it would be OK, only where he can really see his own reflection well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a fairly new fish 2-3 days ill say and as aquarium yes it is the mirror it's a one gallon glass aquarium with no filter no heater no live plants just a air stone only used when nessiscary(considering getting a new tank for plants heater filter etc.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
His environment could be stressing him as well. I'm sure its just the mirrors though. Bettas should be in 2.5g tank minimum (thats pushing it) and heated.

204 Posts
Hello, and welcome, glad you have joined us. Glad you are doing research on how to give your little fishy friend the best:-D Please consider upgrading your little friend home to a 2.5g, this size can be properly heated and cycled. Your little friend will need a heater, the reasoning is bettas need water temp between 77-80 degrees, and it has to be stable and constant. Bettas also enjoy plants live or silk and little caves to hide away. I know the pet shops market bettas as "easy pets" that require little to no equipment, but that is so far from the truth. Good luck with your little friend, and please keep us posted.

P.S- Please do frequent water changes in your one gallon, ammonia builds very quickly, which can lead to poisoning. You may want to checkout the water changing sticky posted on the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone my fish is now healthy(more active) and we got a sponge biochemical filter but I live in the tropics would that cancel out the need for a heater oh also I got a 4-5 gallon tank

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Our house is 80 F in the summer, and I still needed a heater. The thing is, they need the temperature to be completely stable, and even in the tropics, it cools off a few degrees at night. Make sure you get a thermometer so you can keep an eye on the temperature, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The fact that you gave us inches and not gallons scares me, this means that it's likely to be under a gallon, so to start you need a bigger tank soon (I wouldn't even call what you have a tank if it's that small. If you're a new betta owner it might seem ridicoulous to spend so much on a fish, but that's when you decide if it's a good hobby for you. Try to get at least a gallon tank soon, like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/33874882?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022839435&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40341980912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78301942112&veh=sem). But if you mean the walls are reflecting, buy a background for him or something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My tank is one gallon on friday(which if your reading after friday is two days from when I'm posting this) I'm getting a 20 gal and yes I've solved the flaring problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts