Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good food for Angus. The pet store recommended flakes, but I don't know how much I'm supposed to feed him and I've been reading that pellets are better.

Anyone have any recommendations? Will the flakes be ok till I can get pellets?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Pellets all the way! They are less messy and don't pollute the water as much, plus they usually have more protein in them than flakes. Some good brands are Omega One, New Life Spectrum, and Attisons Betta Pro.

Flakes will be fine if you can't get pellets right away, just a few at a time should be sufficient.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I would recommend Betta pellets such as New Life Spectrum, and Attisons Betta Pro over any type of flake for numerous given reasons regarding how the majority of flakes are less nutritious than the recommended Pellets. They are In My Opinion hard to feed the same amounts every day, and feeding flakes will be somewhat hard due to the fact of the flakes typically sinking almost immediately and scatters across the surface which makes it hard for the Betta to consume all of the flakes, so with multiple flakes throughout the bottom, there will be an accelerat amount of waste, ammonia, etc. And yes, I do not like feeding a primary diet of flakes to bettas as they are known to not fully consume them, it is a challenge to control the amount you feed, there is no specified feeding amount, and bettas are known to let some flakes drop to the bottom and decay, meaning that the organic matter woul lead to an ammonia spike. There is no specified feeding amount, as a good amount to feed daily as you can do with pellets, etc. just a few reasons to list

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not sure I saw it mentioned... but most bettas do not even like flake food as a staple. The brands listed above are good pellets. I would try to switch as soon as you can manage. Mo made some excellent points on the effects of flake food on water quality. If the flakes are unopened and you can get to a store soon, I would just return them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you everyone! I ordered omega one and it should be here Monday. my hubby has the car all weekend so I had to order online. hopefully Angus likes it!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yes, Omega one Betta pellets as a sample diet along with a nutritious, preferably meaty treat such as live/frozen bloodworms, mosquito larvae, mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp would result in more than an optimal diet, most prefered by bettas as there are nutritious foods, and a variety of foods

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Also, what are you guys thoughts on tetra min tropical crisps? thats what i feed to all of my aquariums and its easier to measure how much they eat that regular flakes, and they are easier for older bettas to see than tiny pelets, and i dont even have to break them up for my tiny fish they just nibble on them till they are gone.they float for awhile and when a big fish wants one they grab one and go somewhere hidden to eat it, and the little guys nibble on them right at the surface till they fall (slowly) and they nibble them on the trip to the ground till they are gone, and if they missed any they are big on cleaning it up from the gravel.

so it has advanteges of flakes and pellets.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Flakes can be fine as long as it is a quality brand- Omega's betta flakes are actually a bit more nutritious then their pellets. Just have to make sure to remove any uneaten flakes after feeding (a turkey baster is good at it) to prevent fouling up the water.
Flakes don't bloat the fish, nor are they less nutritious- it all depends on the brand/quality.

As for the mosquito question- yes, that is how you collect mosquito and daphnia larvae- place a bucket of water outside, some twigs, leafs and even grass will create a nice nursery for them.. just use a small fish net or shrimp net to scoop out, quick rinse and then feed!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I defiantly love using pellets! I use Top Fin: Color Enhancing Betta Bits for my bettas! My crown tail NinJa grew up with them and loved them since I got him from his breeder. I feed them to my newest betta, Caesar, though he doesn't really mind anything. When he was in the pet store he was being fed flakes but he is now used to pellets. Though sometimes as a treat I give him flakes as treats:)Plus I think pellets are a lot neater for the tank because if they are eating flakes, they might miss some of it and you'll have left overs! Also you can limit to 3 pellets and its harder to over feed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
New Life Spectrum pellets are the best of the best, either the small fish or the betta formula. Omega one is a good one as well.

is it safe to get mosquito larvae from buckets in your backyard?
I put out my own bucket of and filled it with leaves dirt and water, the larvae usually appear after a week or two, they make a great addition to their diets.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I am lucky, my Aunt has a very small natural spring that fills up a small pond. I always collect them when I go up there, as the mosquito larvae are almost always there. The bucket works good also.

I use New Life Spectrum, the container is super big, it seems expensive, but it should last a bettas life and more!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Flakes are not a problem if u have gd husbandry but u should always vary any diet for any fish. I use flake, pellet, and live/frozen. I like to use smaller distributors for my brands of flake and pellet though! Less additives I have found in them and more natural ingredients! Plus it is nice helping out smaller companies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts