Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was feeding my Betta fish "Aqueon Tropical Fish flakes" but I wanted to get a higher quality food SO I went out and bought New Life Spectrum all purpose formula. They were all out of the NLS Betta formula so I had to get this one. Same ingredients, just the NLS Betta formula floats and the one I have NLS all purpose formula sinks.

He spits out the pellets (part of it anyway) and only eats part of it... I don't know why he spits out some of the food because the pellets are SO small and I only feed him 3 throughout the day. (One in morning, one in evening, one at night.) Why is he spitting out his food?

Also, I have heard of people soaking pellets to prevent SBD/bloating and constipation because it expands in the fishes stomach. Does anyone have NLS and not soak it? Has any problems occurred? Is it necessary to soak pellets for health reasons?

Thank you :-D

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
You aren't actually supposed to soak pellets. You could try breaking or crushing them if he's spitting them out. Sometimes bettas just will spit out and re-eat a pellet or a new food. One of mine did that for about a week after I switched their food, but then he started eating it normally after that. I'd say just give him a little more time with it or else try crushing it or breaking it in half with your fingernail or a clean razor blade.

The NLS all purpose formula is just as good as the betta formula, so you did well there.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It may be that he is adjusting to his new healthier food. I would keep trying to feed him the pellets. Most people on here use the NLS small fish formula because they are a bit smaller. I could also be that the pellets are too big for him. If this is the case then just crush them up or cut them in half. I use the lid to the food container to crush them up slightly.

you do not need to soak the pellets unless your fish is prone to bloating. You can soak them in garlic juice if he is having trouble eating them since it makes them taste a bit better. However, NLS already has garlic in them so you may not need to do this.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks to both of you :) I'll try crushing it/breaking it in half to see how he reacts. I always forget how tiny he is so maybe they are a bit too big. Thanks again :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts