Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a mini-bow 2.5 gallon for one of my betta. He was originally in a 2 gallon critter keeper. He is now freaking out? Its been 2 days. It is really not that much bigger and I have a fake plant, a cave and a marimo moss ball in there but he is freaking out big time. Is there something wrong with my fish?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
How did you acclimate him to the new chemistry, does it have a filter, are the lights different....any reflection issues.....

I would double check the temp, make a 50% water only change using double dose of the dechlorinator and turn the light off.....and if it has a filter you may want to turn that off for a few days too.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I float him in his cup for 20 mins and add a little new tank water to his cup, float him for another 10 mins. His new tank water has been aged before I add more Prime to it and temperature is the same at 76. Mini-bow did come with a filter which I have turned off after a day because he was freaking out. Did a partial water change. Lights are different, I didn't use the tank light but his current spot is nearer to the window, not near near but nearer than before and I think it may have affected him. I have posted a video on youtube how he is swimming. Please take a look and let me know if he will be okay. I know some bettas swim like that when they are sick but since I just changed his tank, I am not sure which is which. I honestly think he doesn't like the bigger space and prefers his 2 gallon.

http://youtu.be/9wLt6Q6WzTI

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
0.5of a gallon is really not a lot of extra room. I watched the video and he doesn't look at all stressed to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! There is quite some space in there. The cave is a temple,the only thing I put in there if he wants to hide. I have fishes upgraded to bigger tanks before and they were more active, but not like Rain. He zooms so fast from top to bottom almost like a spasm sometimes it scares me and he has been doing this for the past 2 days. Maybe he is just a quick moving one.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Thanks! There is quite some space in there. The cave is a temple,the only thing I put in there if he wants to hide. I have fishes upgraded to bigger tanks before and they were more active, but not like Rain. He zooms so fast from top to bottom almost like a spasm sometimes it scares me and he has been doing this for the past 2 days. Maybe he is just a quick moving one.
My Spike likes swimming pretty fast too. He gets those random spurts where he just zooms around for a short period. I still occasionally worry a bit about it. But he is super happy and has been acting normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Spike likes swimming pretty fast too. He gets those random spurts where he just zooms around for a short period. I still occasionally worry a bit about it. But he is super happy and has been acting normal.
I hope he's just happy and that is why he is doing all those zoomies. Will keep a close eye on him. He is skinny so that worries me as well. He doesn't zoom like this in his 2 gallon tank that is for sure. The last time that happened, my previous betta has velvet disease and he didn't make it.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
He looks like he is glass surfing......I would give him a couple of more days with the light and filter off and give him time to adapt to the new tank...you might also cover 3 sides of the tank and see if that helps with reflection and glass surfing.....pretty fella...nice find.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts