Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently diagnosed my poor betta boy with either tumours or Lymphocytosis, I am yet to see depending on how his growths develop. But now I heard him jump for the third time today. Everything's quiet and suddenly a giant sploosh that creates bubbles on top of the water. I rushed to the tank each time to find him panicked, not really swimming anymore but rather pressing onto a leaf or a wall, seeming terrified or stressed.
Could the growths somehow be driving him nuts?
He used to jump a bit throughout the winter because his tank light was attracting small flies and he tried to hunt them - I even saw him succeed once. I found it adorable... But all the flies are dead now and there was nothing moving close to his tank either of those three times today. And I used to hear him maybe once a week... He doesn't have any tankmates. He only has three ramshorn snail babies that are always just eating off the suction cups.
What's going on? Does anyone else's betta suddenly panic?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
about 5.5
Does it have a filter?
yes, aquael mikro plus set to the lowest flow
Does it have a heater?
yes, sicce scuba 25W automatic set to 26°C (78.8°F)
What temperature is your tank?
26°C (78.8°F)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
the filter has its own aeration that lets small bubbles into the water and I open it about once a week for about two hours and then close it again
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
3 ramshorn snail babies that are hidden somewhere most of the time

Food:
What food brand do you use? Do you feed flakes or pellets? Freeze-dried
I used to feed him Hikari pellets and Tetra worm-shaped bites, but I only feed him freeze-dried bloodworms ever since the white growth appeared
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
that's really hard to say like this. I usually feed him two times a day, it used to be about 4 pellets or so and then 3 more pellets the second feeding or like 3 worms and then 2 more, but now that I only give him bloodworms, he gets about four a feeding

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? What percentage of water did you change?
10-20% weekly
What is the source of your water?
tap water that I let sit out and then treat it
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
I always drag the aquarium tube just above the substrate so it picks up if there's anything (poop, maybe a dead plant rot), but I don't disturb the substrate
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
Tetra Betta Aqua Safe , Tetra Filteractive if I change more water than usual because of re-planting for example and Tetra PlantaMin

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: can't test at the very moment
Nitrite: can't test at the very moment
Nitrate: 20mg
pH: 6,8
Hardness (GH): can't test at the very moment
Alkalinity (KH): can't test at the very moment

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
that is really difficult to answer since I didn't always pay it much attention. At first I thought he was bloated. Since the burst is on his abdoment. So I was very careful about his feeding. Then I simply thought he bumped his scales on something. He is a curious soul and sometimes just gets really small injuries that heal immediatelly, I would compare them to a human getting a small bruise.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Firstly, his body turned a strange shape. But only his right side (from his POV). Compared to a healthy betta, he has strange irregular bumps that are almost impossible to take a photo of, I am sorry for that, since each thing is visible under a different angle and a different light and it complicates everything.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
He isn't enthusiastic about food as much anymore (more below) and he sleeps a lot. He used to be swimming all day and then only really lay around at night, but it's somewhat rare now if I see him swim around a lot. I'd say it's 70% resting and 30% doing something. He simply sleeps on his favourite spot - top of filter and the cozied aganst the glass almost the entire day. Only swims around to search for food and to continue his bubble nest (which have always been giant and he has an impulse to do them daily. I wanted to let him be a father but learning about so many of his "bad" genes such as really heavy curling fins, blue dragonscales which can apparently be VERY prone to tumours and lymphocytosis (and it seems to be true, almost every single picture on google image when I search for either of those have either some kind of blue coloring or sturdy dragonscales), I'll rather not breed him.
Is your Betta still eating?
yes, but he's way less excited or willing to fight for the food. He always used to jump after my finger and the last two months he just waits for me to drop it until I do
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I gave him Seachem Stress Guard for a few days because I thought it is an injury, but then the white started to grow out
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
no, he has genetic fin curling and very thick heavy fins and especially tail (he is half giant) that he bites so he can swim better because once he stops swimming, it's really visible they are far too heavy for him and he always starts falling, obviously weighted by the tail. I did everything I could to battle the biting and tried every method that people told me about here, but it became apparent that he simply can't carry all that weight.
How long have you owned your Betta?
it's going to be six months this Sunday and I wish we had a happier half-anniversary :(
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
no, he was in great shape, already well-adult, he might have been about 6 months old. The complications with him only began when his fins and his body continued to get bigger (and I very soon understood he's definitely half giant)

I didn't notice it back then, but when going through old photos of him, I found that already on the 2nd of November, the scales were already lifting up. Excuse the terrible lightning and atrocious colors.

I know he probably doesn't look THAT big in the pictures nor the tail in the fins THAT long or heavy, but I can't stress enough how visible it is in person. Photos can't really ever capture the context well.

Him in his tank on 13th of November.

I cupped him about four days ago co take a better look and made those two slow-mo videos under different lights:

And finally, two pics I was able to take today:

I know the house looks sharp, but it's it passed the pantyhose test, all the edges were filed down and the inside is coated with soft safe silicon.
The brown thing on the left bottom is indian almond leaf.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Are you feeding him freeze dried bloodworms or frozen bloodworms? I think you wrote somewhere you kept them in the freezer and they are "chocolate" shapes or something like that, so I assumed what you had are frozen ones. I'm confused now.

I've read discussions regarding parasite/disease in frozen bloodworms. It seems none of the members who have been feeding their fish frozen bloodworms have experienced it.

I really don't recommend to rub your fish. It will do more harm than do good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts