Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta fish accidentally mated and now I have betta fry that I’ve been raising for 2 months now. In total I have 38. Some are being given away but I want the rest to go to a good home or a rescue. Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
324 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. I can think of a few options for you: look into a local aquarium club and see if anyone is looking for bettas, see if there are local fish stores willing to take in some of them in, post on Craigslist or something similar and see if anyone is looking for bettas, or consider shipping them. All of these can be good options when trying to find homes for fish.

By the way, I (and likely others!) would love to see photos of your accidental babies.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum. I can think of a few options for you: look into a local aquarium club and see if anyone is looking for bettas, see if there are local fish stores willing to take in some of them in, post on Craigslist or something similar and see if anyone is looking for bettas, or consider shipping them. All of these can be good options when trying to find homes for fish.

By the way, I (and likely others!) would love to see photos of your accidental babies.
Thank you for the information. More than glad to post the babies. Keep in mind my first betta was a male as newly wed and from there I’ve learned along the way how to take care of them but betta fry are a whole different thing so much work, research, time and effort. I just hope I’m doing an ok job

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey they're so cute :) just out of pure curiosity, how does someone accidentally mate their bettas?
My husband bought me females to make a sorority tank and my parents who took care of them while we were on a trip , not knowing anything about bettas in particular (please don’t judge them) put in one female that was always looking at the male in the corner. They thought he was lonely and needed a friend so they put her in and that same day she released her eggs. So it was kinda accidental lol

· Registered
20 Posts
My husband bought me females to make a sorority tank and my parents who took care of them while we were on a trip , not knowing anything about bettas in particular (please don’t judge them) put in one female that was always looking at the male in the corner. They thought he was lonely and needed a friend so they put her in and that same day she released her eggs. So it was kinda accidental lol
Ooh no judgement, that is a little bit sweet of them really😅 and what lucky/unlucky timing!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ooh no judgement, that is a little bit sweet of them really😅 and what lucky/unlucky timing!
Really is. Everyone keeps telling me how they are a bit shocked the male and female accepted each other right away and how the betta fry survived to which my response is like “I’m shocked myself”. It’s been rollercoaster. I also have 3 fue babies to take care of and my total is now 4 tanks to clean so it one heck of a ride.

· Registered
5 Posts
I’m raising a baby myself, well a young lady now ☺I got her in June and she was smaller than yours. I’ll finally be transferring her over to her new 10 gallon home. This hobby is addicting. I’d take one of my husband wouldn’t kill me 😂. We already have two aquariums with bettas

· Registered
20 Posts
Really is. Everyone keeps telling me how they are a bit shocked the male and female accepted each other right away and how the betta fry survived to which my response is like “I’m shocked myself”. It’s been rollercoaster. I also have 3 fue babies to take care of and my total is now 4 tanks to clean so it one heck of a ride.
Honestly is why I had to asked how it happened. Especially when sometimes it's quite difficult to breed on purpose. Must have just meant to be 🤣

1 - 15 of 15 Posts